Nice workbench tops-$10

Status
Not open for further replies.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
I use the commercial ones. 1 3/4" thick. they work great! I put a band around them and lay in a piece of MDF that is expendable. a couple coats of sand and seal and wax. glue pops off fairly easily. if the MDF wears out simply lift it out and drop in a new piece. havent worn one out in over 3 years though.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Thanks for finding that. We are in need of some new desk tops/drawing surfaces for our new office. These will work great :icon_thum

Dave:)

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Thanks for finding that. We are in need of some new desk tops/drawing surfaces for our new office. These will work great :icon_thum

Glad I could help Dave, those should make good desk tops, and the price is right.

Jimmy:)

DIYGUY

New User
Mark
If anyone is going out to pick any of these up and would not mind dropping one off for me I would be grateful. I live in N. Raleigh. Drop me a PM or send me an email and we can work it out. Thanks all ...

NZAPP1

New User
Nick
If anyone is going out to pick any of these up and would not mind dropping one off for me I would be grateful. I live in N. Raleigh. Drop me a PM or send me an email and we can work it out. Thanks all ...

Same for me.
If some one is picking these up I could use 2 and will come to Raleigh are to pick up.
Thanks

Glennbear

Glenn

Attachments

• HPIM0423.jpg
    HPIM0423.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 158

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Glenn,
You're welcome, and it looks as if you got enough to offset the price of gas:lol:. Eight doors should give you a great start for your shop.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I mentioned this to my boss. He told me that we can get hollow core doors that are 36" wide for $20 at Lowe's...without the door knob hole. Those will be good enough for our needs :roll::roll::roll::roll:
Oh well, try to save someone some money

DIYGUY

New User
Mark
I mentioned this to my boss. He told me that we can get hollow core doors that are 36" wide for $20 at Lowe's...without the door knob hole. Those will be good enough for our needs :roll::roll::roll::roll:
Oh well, try to save someone some money

Dave-
I am sure you realize that the first time you bang something on a hollow core door your workbench will never be the same. They might make a good work surface for sewing or some such, but definitely not a ww'ing bench. I believe the doors in the listing were solid core and that is a horse of a different color.

Tar Heel

New User
Stuart
Thanks for the tip Jimmy. I picked up one today and and subsequently decided to get 3 more tomorrow. They are really nice doors and as Jimmy said will make a great work bench top.

Glennbear

Glenn
Better hurry, the seller is going to be real busy real soon. Mrs. Hart is due to give birth to child #3 any day now. The doors are nice though, I got mine home and realized that they have never even been used. No holes in hinge mortises. :)

lottathought

New User
Michael
I am curious about these...
I know that they are solid..
What I would like to know is does anybody know how it was made solid?
In other words....do they make this with thin sheets of ply over filler wood or is this solid wood all the way through?
I am very interested in picking up a couple for a bench but I would be a little concerned if the outer part is thin ply.

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Michael,

Usually these doors have a solid particle board core with a thin layer of birc as a cover. I have put a coat of urethane on top and beat the p**s out of them, without doing much damage(just nicks). If you are really worried about it you can put a piece of Tempered hardboard (masonite) on top at the beginning of your use, or after you beat the top up.

Very good bang for the buck.

ps. I would probably buy a couple, but I don't have the time or want to spend the gas on them.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
I use solid core wood doos in commercial work every day. It's a good idea for anyone placing these doors in a workshop setting to do 2 things:
1. Seal the doors all found. Particle board core doors are moisture sensitive & will swell & delaminate in an unconditioned environment with time. Warehouses storing these doors don't keep too much stock to avoid this problem.
2. Support the door. You are right in that these doors have a thin skin. The ones I'm now working with aren't much thicker than a butterfly wing and laminated to a cardboard back - very delicate to handle and they would sag out if not braced from beneath as a table top. The edge styles are usually not more than 1-1/2" thick.
All this being said, they do give you a top with a lot of mass & that's pretty good for $10.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS