Dan Bowen
User
I found some directions online for a longworth chuck. Seemed fairly simple
to make , and only cost a few dollars at Ace Hardware for some bolts
wingnuts and stoppers.

nothing like a nice smooth bottom:gar-La;

T

toolferone

Looks good, Did you route out the slots? Are the slots curved to help keep them tight against the bowl as it spins?

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Nice!:icon_thum I bought a set of "Cole jaws" for my chuck, but it looks as yours would do just as well. How do you keep the bowl centered?
Nice smooth bottoms are great until you poke a butt hole in one..BTDT too many times to be proud:sad1:

Dave:)

owen299

Dan Bowen
User
I used a router for the slots. It works by having two peices back to back with matching curved slots. When the peices are inverted they can turn on the center pin. This moves all 4 stoppers at the same time and the same distance from the center. That way it can be used on different size turning on the outside like this or on the outside edge like in a bowl. when the stoppers are compressed by tightening the wingnuts it holds the peice nice and tight.

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
Nice addition to the lathe accessory arsenal, care to share the link where you found instructions for it?

Jerry

owen299

Dan Bowen
User
I found it at woodcentral.com... look in the acticle section it is under the turning tool and tecniques. The directions are on the right side about 28 entries down.
This website has an unbelievable amount of turning info. and tips

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS