New Wood Storage Racks

Status
Not open for further replies.

dino drosas

Dino
Corporate Member
I finally got around to building some racks to store lumber in my storage container. I bolted 4x4's upright to the sides. They are drilled at a slight upward angle and then black pipe inserted into the holes. Worked out great and if they are no longer needed; just remove the pipes. Cost was less than 100.00
doors_windows_misc_012.jpg

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Triple excellence :icon_thum Nice racks, nice stacks and nice pic posting. You got it all together tonight :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Dave:)

rbdoby

New User
Rick
Dino,

Really like your storage rack and congratulations on posting pictures. I've been to your shop so where did you settle on putting that behemoth sander you just got?

Rick Doby

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Dino,

Nice job on the racks. I did notice that not all of your wood fits on them. I'd be happy to take any of that wood that is in the way:gar-Bi

Ray

dino drosas

Dino
Corporate Member
I used 1 1/4" ID black pipe for the rack and the holes drilled are slightly larger than 1/2". As for the sander, it is really not that large. With the outfeed and infeed roolers lowered the footprint is about 2'x2' and it sitting on Zambus casters (extremely mobile and stable). I had bought a large wide belt at auction but sold it as it was way over my head in both size and power requirements. Being open ended, I can sand a panel up to 37". I tried it and got no witness mark at the overlap - sure impressed me.
doors_windows_misc_017.jpg

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
I recognize the end cuts on that (Walnut) stack on the left :-D:-D

Dino, something you might want to think about- slipping some pvc pipe, flourescant bulb protectors, etc. over the black pipe so you don't get stains from the black pipe on your wood.

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Dino,
The racks look good, I had some like that in my last shop and they worked great. One word of caution,as Alan said, the black pipe can leave stains on the wood DAMHIKT:lol:.

Jimmy:)

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Bernhard has the exact same sander. It is amazing how small it really is when you see it in real life. Pictures make it look larger.

You got all the pipe and all for $150 for your lumber rack? I thought steel was a lot higher than that!

cskipper

Cathy
Good looking storage solution - though I will offer to store excess lumer here :)rotflm:). Agree with the suggestion for pvc pipe to protect the wood from the metal. Congrats on figuring out to post pictures.

JOAT

New User
Theo
Nice storage. I envy you, it looks about twice as large as my entire shop. Coincidently I started another wood rack in my shop today - got one chunk of scrap 2X4 up so far. LOL

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Let's be honest here...NOBODY is looking at the storage rack...we're all drooling over the wood stash!! :wsmile:

Great storage solution, Dino. :icon_thum

Chuck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors