New tools and new projects

Richo B

New User
Richo
Last week we visited Tennessee to check out the area and see some sights. While there I visited the Woodcraft of Nashville and bought some purple heart and birch plywood.

IMG_20211107_201959151.jpg

The purple heart will be for puzzle cabinet 3 and the birch plywood will be for puzzle box 4. Both projects I'll start designing soon. In addition to the wood I stopped at Klingspor's of Cary on the way back home and bought two antique Kunz spokeshaves from the antique tool section. That section never disappoints. One spokeshave is based on the Stanley No. 60 double spokeshave (one side standard straight, other side concave). I also picked up a Kunz No. 65 Chamfer Spokeshave. I've not seen one of these before and just had to get it. I'll have to watch a YouTube video to understand its use. Blades are dull on both but otherwise they are solid and I plan to use them with the rest of my hand tool woodworking. I specifically plan to use the double spokeshave on Puzzle Cabinet 3.
IMG_20211106_190617020.jpg

IMG_20211109_180607182.jpg

IMG_20211109_181211785.jpg

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Sounds like a fun successful trip. I look forward to seeing the puzzles.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I never thought of Kunz as being antique, just cheap and not very usable.
Did someone tell you they were antique?
I hope you didn't pay much for them.

I like your puzzle boxes and look forward to the next build.

Richo B

New User
Richo
I never thought of Kunz as being antique, just cheap and not very usable.
Did someone tell you they were antique?
I hope you didn't pay much for them.

I like your puzzle boxes and look forward to the next build.
I bought them from the antique section at Klingspors Cary. I later realized that they are sold new, though these seem older. I believe Woodcraft sell Kunz spokeshaves. I paid $32 for the double spokeshave and $68 for the chamfer spoke shave. Note said that the Kunz 65 (chamfer) was no longer made, thus why I thought it an antique. But I've seen other woodworkers post them on Instagram. So perhaps it wasn't an antique but it was definitely already used by someone else.

Richo B

New User
Richo
I should note that Puzzle Cabinet 3 will be a model of the Parthenon based on the one in Nashville, TN. I've got the wood almost all cut for this build. Won't be exactly to scale but it will involve columns and the angled roof. It will hold some of the newest mechanical puzzles that I bought this year, especially one that is much larger and won't fit in the Apothecary Puzzle Cabinet.
Parthenon_Centennial Park_11.2.21_06.jpg

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I bought them from the antique section at Klingspors Cary. I later realized that they are sold new, though these seem older. I believe Woodcraft sell Kunz spokeshaves. I paid $32 for the double spokeshave and $68 for the chamfer spoke shave. Note said that the Kunz 65 (chamfer) was no longer made, thus why I thought it an antique. But I've seen other woodworkers post them on Instagram. So perhaps it wasn't an antique but it was definitely already used by someone else.
I did some research and found older examples dating to the 50s even though the company website says they started in the 90s?, been a few weeks ago so I don’t remember. Maybe the current company bought out an older one. Anyway, yours could be old, still not what I call antique. But these days anything over ten years old seems to pass for antique.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS