New to Woodworking in the Raleigh Area need guidance on finding Mill with available rough sewn lumb

Status
Not open for further replies.

SJErick

New User
Scott
Hi you all, this looks like a great site to be a part of looking forward to be part of the group. I have been here in the Raleigh NC area for several years and started to get back into wood working. Just was looking for some guidance on where people find the lumber they purchase. I made a trip out to a mill a few weeks ago but all they had was small ceder scraps and pressure treated pine.

I would love to learn where people like to go to buy their wood. I would love to find a good lumber mill or yard that has a decent selection of rough sewn lumber in a range of sizes form 1/4 to 8 /4.

Thanks in advance.

Bear Republic

Steve
Corporate Member
Scott Smith is an active member here and usually has an assortment of things. His info is on the link above. Well worth the trip even to just talk about wood.

Also, one of our wonderful sponsors, Klingspor in Cary, has a nice selection of wood plus lots of other delightfully things to take a look at. You can probably hit them both in one trip. There are a few others that you can see advertised on here that are well with the road trip. Reach out to any of them and they'll let you know what they have or will have soon.

Welcome to the neighborhood and enjoy the smell of fresh milled lumber!

Last edited:

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I'll add my recommendation for quartersawnoak.com

Scott is a good friend and knows more about cutting wood and kiln drying than anyone I know.

It is worth the trip just to see his operation.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Glenn has great prices too, but I thought it was a long drive from Raleigh when Scott is right there.

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
Welcome to our sawdust pile Scott. I am also in Clayton. Maybe we could meet up some time. Lots of great folks on the site. Stop by the Sept 8 open house @ Klingspors and meet some of us.

DSWalker

David
Corporate Member
Welcome to the site. You will find lots of good people here that are very willing to assist with any question, need or request you may have.

Stuart Kent

Stuart
Senior User
Hi you all, this looks like a great site to be a part of looking forward to be part of the group. I have been here in the Raleigh NC area for several years and started to get back into wood working. Just was looking for some guidance on where people find the lumber they purchase. I made a trip out to a mill a few weeks ago but all they had was small ceder scraps and pressure treated pine.

I would love to learn where people like to go to buy their wood. I would love to find a good lumber mill or yard that has a decent selection of rough sewn lumber in a range of sizes form 1/4 to 8 /4.

Thanks in advance.

Scott Smith is a great resource for domestics http://quartersawnoak.com We sell many exotics at the North Carolina Furniture School in Ayden https://ncfurnitureschool.com

kelLOGg

Bob
Senior User
Scott, I have some thin miscellaneous pine and oak cut-offs from my mill in the 1/4 to 1/2 inch thickness and up to 8 ft long. I don't know how much you need but you are welcome to see what I have.

Bob

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS