New to the Site

Status
Not open for further replies.

blkdog09

New User
Chris
Hello all........

I just stumbled upon the website and wanted to say hi.
My wife and I moved to NC from PA about 3 years ago for her job, and even though I miss my snow, its a nice place to live and play! We are both Wildlife Biologists, (old school hook and bullet biologists) and have a passion for the outdoors.

Among my other hobbies (fly tying, taxidermy, fishing, hunting, gardening, canning) I find time to carve decoys and complete small wood working projects around the house.

have friends who turn calls, and who are foresters (got a few slabs of sasafrass this Novemeber)

Just here to see all the beautiful work being done by you ladies and gents, and maybe pick up a few pointers along the way.

Still adding to my "shop" piece by piece, and little by little (have to keep the Mrs. happy ((or in the dark))

My father-in-law did custom mill work for 20+ years in NW PA, so I do have his brain to pick!

Some pics of what I've done so far........ a few decoys and turkey fan plaque out of 4/4 cherry

scaupright.jpg

DSC00852.jpg

DSC00843.jpg

turkeyfanplaque1.jpg

DSC00809.jpg

Hopefully I will find a supplier or two for some Juniper or AWC around these parts, always willing to buy or barter!

Have a great day!

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Welcome to the site Chris. :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap From a guy that has never tried carving, all I can say is that those decoys are INCREDIBLE! :eek: Very nice work there. :icon_thum Also, I think you'll find the outdoors in NC to be quite fun as well. You've got the mountains, the foothills the piedmont and the coast. Where we live, it's pretty flat and covered with pine trees and stoplights. :gar-La;

Anyway, it's great to have you here. There are some wonderful people on this site. Feel free to jump right in. :eek:ccasion1

SubGuy

New User
Zach
[PIE]Welcome to our humble saw dust pile.[/PIE]

BTW, you can't hide the PA in ya. :nah:Yuengling... enough said.:gar-Bi

M

McRabbet

Welcome to the website, Chris -- You've done some very pretty work but I must say your Mallard drakes don't like the Yeungling as much as your Springer Spaniel!

Hill

New User
Hill
Welcome Chris....You've picked a great forum with very helpful folks. And let me know if you're ever up west of Asheville. I know a few good places to put those flies to good use:gar-Bi

Glennbear

Glenn
Welcome Chris, as a non-carver I am very impressed by your work. I moved from NJ about the same time you left PA and as we have seen in recent weeks we do get snow down here once in a while. :wsmile:

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Welcome to the site, Chris!:icon_cheers

Sure sure have a knack at carving realistic duck's. Shear artwork, if you ask me.

Have a great time here, post often and enjoy the receipt of of the great information shared here by your fellow sawdusters.:wsmile:

Wayne

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Hi Chris,

Welcome to the NCWW pile-o-sawdust. Glad you found us. The carvings look terrific. I look forward to seeing more of your work.

Bob Carreiro

New User
Bob
Hi Chris,
Welcome to NCWW. I'm new too. Seems like a great bunch of guys & gals here. Some nice stuff you've made!
happy WW,
Bob Carreiro

ncguy77

New User
Jim
Welcome to the group from another NCWW newbie who was also originally from NW PA (i.e. Hickory/Hermitage)

As for snow, here was Raleigh 2001. Unsure if this was the 18" event.
The big difference between a PA and NC snow storm is that the NC snow usually is followed by the typical southern sun.

2nbfz37.jpg

2w50sok.jpg

j8p6v9.jpg

r8gsg2.jpg

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Welcome Chris, outstanding work shown as far. I look forward to your input in the forums, and seeing more of your work.
See you around!!!

Dave:)

blkdog09

New User
Chris
Thanks for the kind words and welcome everyone!

Nothing like a nose full of dust and a nice ice cold Yuengling on the taste buds!!!

Looking forward to learning and providing input when and where I can.

Thansk again everybody! :eek:ccasion1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS