New to NCW and Beautiful Charlotte, NC

Status
Not open for further replies.

SnortingSawdust

New User
Will
Hi guys! my name is Will.

I just moved to North Carolina in late August with my beautiful girlfriend from Northern Virginia. I'm not new to NC, I went to college at Elon University, some of the most memorable years of my life. I always loved NC and always wanted to come back to live!

I've been woodworking and printing books my entire life, woodworking is a major hobby and also a huge stress reliever for me. I mainly build things that I personally use, whether it be built-in closet systems, cabinets, furniture etc. There is something that I can't get enough of, the feeling you get when you get to hold, see and use things that you built with your own hands.

Unfortunetly, I had to move in to an apartment just south of Charlotte Uptown, in Dilworth. The girlfriend won't let me keep the tools in the apartment, so I was hoping that someone might be able to point me in the right direction on how to find a workspace in the area. I know that my brother rented some space in Southern Florida, was kinda almost a large storage unit, but mostly served to people that were self employed in the trades craft. Rent was fairly cheap for the space. Not sure if this type of facility or any exist in the area.

Thanks for having me and any help, would be greatly appreciated!

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Welcome Will!
I am out in Greenville SC so can't help you with coop or shared space (I think that is what you are looking for) but be patient someone here will pipe up with a GREAT idea for you.

I am glad you found us, I think you will find this site as wonderful as North Carolina!

We enjoy seeing and sharing pictures... so, following are some instructions of how to post yours!
http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/content.php?r=42-How-to-add-a-picture-to-your-post

Coming up October 17th and 18th is the Klingspore Extravaganza - this is an absolute "DON'T MISS" event - Klingspore's woodworking shop throws this "Blowout" at the Hickory Metro Convention Center. We typically have a booth to show off off our outreach and it is simply a two-day woodworking blast! (I hope you can make it!) here is a link to http://www.woodworkingshop.com/extravaganza/#.VBc0u5RdWSo
(Don't be confused as the video is for the 2013 event, but it explains it well!

After you are here a while, you will become discount qualified and that means you can ask for a percentage off with some of our advertisers when you buy something from them!

Here are the rules for becoming discount qualified
You must have been registered for at least 60 days
You must have at least 5 posts
You must have posted an introduction in the 'Who we are' forum
You must sustain at least one visit per week for the last 180 days

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I heard there is a co-op in the old airport.. Look for Charlotte Woodworking club or hopefully someone will post details here.

GregSmith

Greg
Corporate Member
Welcome Will. The Charlotte Woodworkers have a shop space "in progress" where we meet. The shop is open every Monday night. Our monthly meetings are every 3rd Tuesday and there's a meeting tomorrow night. Check out the meetings tab on the website for directions. http://charlottewoodworkers.org/ It's kind of a secret entrance so make sure to study the map.:) Hope to see you tomorrow or on a Monday night.

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Welcome Will. The Charlotte Woodworkers have a shop space "in progress" where we meet. The shop is open every Monday night. Our monthly meetings are every 3rd Tuesday and there's a meeting tomorrow night. Check out the meetings tab on the website for directions. http://charlottewoodworkers.org/ It's kind of a secret entrance so make sure to study the map.:) Hope to see you tomorrow or on a Monday night.
Thanks for posting that Greg,
Do we have a lot of NCWW'ers in the Charlotte group?

Bryan S

Bryan
Corporate Member
Welcome to our little spot on the web Will, glad to have you with us. When did you graduate from Elon? I grew up about 2 miles outside of Elon and even went to middle school at Elon, right where the tennis courts are. It always has been and still is a beautiful campus. In fact, that is where this little fellow caught his first fish at.

Me_Got_a_Bite_012.jpg

He is my grandson and is a big hit with the ladies too.

Elon_Basketball_010.jpg

Please do not be shy, feel free to join in a conversation or ask any question.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Here are the rules for becoming discount qualified
You must have been registered for at least 60 days
You must have at least 5 posts
You must have posted an introduction in the 'Who we are' forum
You must sustain at least one visit per week for the last 180 days

I never understood the last rule - it mixes days and weeks and 7 days does not divide nice into 180 days - it equals 25.71 weeks.

Why not just say -

You must sustain at least one authenticated (logon with UserID/Password) visit every week for the last 26 consecutive weeks.

I think that's what you are trying to say?

Then be expected to answer whining about my computer was broke or I was on vacation yada yada yada...

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I never understood the last rule - it mixes days and weeks and 7 days does not divide nice into 180 days - it equals 25.71 weeks.

Why not just say -

You must sustain at least one authenticated (logon with UserID/Password) visit every week for the last 26 consecutive weeks.

Hey!
I just deliver the message - some computer dude developed the rules! ha ha

SubGuy

New User
Zach
Welcome to NCWW. Enjoy the sawdust pile. Watch the calendar for events. We do a chat every Sunday morning at 9am sharp and do new member chats on certain Thursdays. Also we tend to get guest speakers in regularly so pay attention in the forums and on the calendar and you can ask questions to some of the guys they write articles about in all those fancy magazines.

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
welcome to the dust pile Wil. Glad one of the Charlotte club members posted the info you need. I talked with one of them at the WIA and it sounds like they have a great group. Hope to see you and shake a hand in Hickory

ehpoole

Ethan

Why not just say -

Then be expected to answer whining about my computer was broke or I was on vacation yada yada yada...

The 180 days is just a common approximation of six months based upon a customary 30-day month and is no more or less valid than 26-weeks which is itself only an approximation of a half year. The actual statistic is merely an average visitation frequency based upon the previous 180-day period, and it means quite simply that your "Visit Freq." statistic needs to stay at 1.00 or greater to maintain eligibility.

Given that one can rack up 7 visit-days each week (each day's visit is worth about "0.04" on the Visit Frequency statistic), it is not difficult to maintain an ongoing average Visit Frequency of once per week in the preceding 180-days. That is just 26 visits to the site in nearly six months, or simply logging on daily each day for (less than) one month out of every six. If a member's computer was down for over five months in that same six month period then it is probably long past time to forget the whining and instead get the computer repaired or replaced!

There are also additional requirements for DQ (Discount Qualified) status that are outlined in much greater detail in the corresponding Article available under the "Policy" tab on the main menu bar. Namely, the additional requirements revolve mostly around information that must be properly completed on your profile. Plus, you must have elected to opt-in to the DQ program for at least one of the participation vendors. The list of eligible DQ members is published and distributed to vendors once each month in the final week of each month.

PS -- Many members actually enjoy a small bonus of 0.04 to 0.08 on their Visit Frequency statistic due to a small rounding error, plus an odd extra day that gets added into the 180-day period due to the change to Daylight Savings (when we spring forward) for half of each year.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Hi Will, welcome to NCWW. I don't know if we have any real estate agents here or not, but it seems to me that you are looking for some type of small warehouse type space that has adequate electrical for your equipment.

One of our members, Jazzflute, has a shop set up in an industrial park in Chapel Hill. Hopefully he will chime in with some search advise for you.

Scott

Scott

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
Hi Will, Welcome aboard. This is one of the best woodworking sites around. It's local nature is a great thing. The Charlotte Woodworkers have a shop near the airport. We have open shop on Monday evenings around 5 pm. +-.

Pop

Dan Gallagher

New User
Dan
Well, welcome! I have no space to share, but I am likely to buy or start a wood working and carving brokerage to sell the works of selected artisans via a similar internet model to CustomeMade.com, but with a few actual brick & mortar locations that will also feature "meet the artisan events". This will be very much localized, unless the artisan will travel. Eventually, I will franchise this if it does well and does not fall on its face! Anyway, let's keep in touch: I have almost a ton of curly (bird's eye & tiger) maple and other out-of-the-ordinary grained woods. My hope is to trade some wood blanks for use of others' tools, as I have only a chain saw mill, a table saw, a sander, and a table/ plunge router & huge Dremel assets. Would love to share / trade-lend such assets as time goes on. Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS