New Shop-need opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnW

New User
John
Wife wants a garage...I want a shop. Considering setbacks and property size, we only have room for one building, which will be 35' x 22' single story. Size can change a little but 35' wide is the max. This will be built on a slight grade so the left side and rear of shop/garage will have higher footings (approx 30" & 48" respectively) Since part of the building will be a garage, it will have a concrete floor.

Here's what I would like your opinion on. Looking at three designs.

1. 22'x35' concrete slab all on one level with the entire inside open for garage and shop equip.
  2. 22' x 35' slab all on one level with a wall separating the shop from the garge area. Wall would have a door so I could use garage space if necessary. We will be using an 18' wide double garage door which means the garage portion will be approx 21' wide leaving me with a 14' x 22' shop, which is not large enough for my current inventory of equipment.
  3. Split level slab which would leave a 21' x 22' garage area with 8' eaves and a 14' x 22' shop area with a floor 24" below garage grade. This would have 10' eaves and have a wall separating the two areas with a step up into the garage from the shop. This has more head room than option #2 but is still too small.
Separating the two areas will keep dust off the cars but having the entire garage open and on one level means I have enough room for all my tools assuming I only park one car in the garage....which is doable since it's my car.

Wife is OK with any of these options. Does anyone have any strong opinions in favor or against any of these options?

Oh...and I guess this is a gloat...I'm building a shop....that will house a car.

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Personally, I'd go for one level and I'd put in the partition wall. That way you can put in HVAC in the shop if you like and not in the garage. Also, the dust issues will be less, I think. M2CW.:notworthy:

Don Alexander

New User
Don
where is all that equipment that won't fit into 14x22 currently residing?

1 level and if you need more than the 14x22 for shop and don't care about putting your car in the garage why not put in 2 doors of the 9x7 variety and make 1 car bay partitioned off and the rest shop:gar-Bi

JohnW

New User
John
Shop equip includes a cab saw, radial arm saw, two band saws, jointer, plainer, sanders, two drill presses, several router tables, a bunch of specialty jigs and then a bunch of hand tools. My FIL recently left me 5 larger old iron tools (1950 ish) that I also want to bring in and restore. Three will find a home in my shop and two will not. But two of the three I keep are replacing existing tools so the net gain is 1. Except they are bigger.

I like the two door idea. The only reason we are using a double door is for resell value. Shops are not something most folks are looking for but they do want a 2-car garage. Go figure??? :icon_scra

The two doors would give it the look of a 2-car garage and if we ever sell, the wall could be knocked down. Thanks Don. I hadn't thought of that.

Don Alexander

New User
Don
might want to consider constructing the dividing wall so that it can easily be removed with little or no repair work needed ............ i.e. put the wall in after you sheetrock the building with some blocking to fasten the top of the wall to and some anchor bolts on the bottom that can simply be removed to release the bottom wall plate at worst then you would have a few inconsequential holes in the floor and ceiling ( 1/2' diameter or less ) which could be left or easily filled.

T

toolferone

I like the two door idea. The only reason we are using a double door is for resell value. Shops are not something most folks are looking for but they do want a 2-car garage. Go figure??? :icon_scra

The two doors would give it the look of a 2-car garage and if we ever sell, the wall could be knocked down. Thanks Don. I hadn't thought of that.

I like the 2 door idea, but have the header put in for a double door. I will make a huge $$ if it needs to be changed.

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis
might want to consider constructing the dividing wall so that it can easily be removed with little or no repair work needed ............ i.e. put the wall in after you sheetrock the building with some blocking to fasten the top of the wall to and some anchor bolts on the bottom that can simply be removed to release the bottom wall plate at worst then you would have a few inconsequential holes in the floor and ceiling ( 1/2' diameter or less ) which could be left or easily filled.

Yeah, this is what I was thinking too....

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Okay, I may be coming at this from the wrong direction, but would it be possible to put a full basement under a full garage? Since you're on a sloping grade, could you excavate to make it a walk-out basement in the back. Structurally, it is doable to put a concrete parking slab above a basement: think of parking garages. This would give you both a full garage and a full shop. And the cost of adding a basement is minimal in the overall scheme of things. :icon_scra

Just a thought.

Bill

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
If the 35' side is the front you could use 1-18' and 1-9' doors [or 3-9' doors] making it a three car garage. this helps on resale value. with this approach you can add a divider wall for the 1 car garage temporary or not. I would stay all on one level.:icon_thum when you do the roof you could go with a steep pitch and have a lot of storage space up top with headroom.:icon_thum you have the option of a pull down or inside stairs as you wish. another option for the upstairs would be a small deck and set of stairs on the outside for access to the upstairs without having to go through the shop to get up there.:icon_thum mine is 24x32 with a 12 pitch roof. with a support wall on each side 4' in I have 16x32 storage upstairs minus the inside stairs. If I had to do it again I would have done the deck and outside stairs. the stairs take up a good bit of shop space.

woodworker2000

Christopher
Corporate Member
Structurally, it is doable to put a concrete parking slab above a basement

That is how my garage is built (with my shop underneath). Steel decking supported by 2 steel I-beams....one beam runs approximately where the rear tires of the cars are, the other runs approximately where the front tires are. 4" slab poured on top of steel decking for garage floor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors