New Shop Cost Estimates

Status
Not open for further replies.

KEstes

New User
Kevin
I am thinking about building a 16' by 20' (or a 12'x20') shop in my backyard. I am limited with the 16' by 20' size because of the size of backyard, but I was wondering what sort of per square foot costs I could use to estimate the cost for construction.

I have seen a few pics of others who have or are building new shops. Did you build it yourself or contract it out? What were your per square foot costs if you are willing to share?

Thanks.

manfre

New User
Manfre
I had a 12' x 20' barn style workshop built on runners for ~$5000 last Dec. That didn't include electrical, paint or finishing the inside.

dupont6480

New User
Tim
Kevin,
I am in the process of building my shop now.

I had an older 16x18 foot pole barn and gutted the barn with the plan to build a 16x22 foot extention onto the barn with the final bldg being 16'x40'. I just finished pouring the slab and footings last Saturday (a total of 12 yards) and removed the forms last night to start the framing process this weekend.

You can see my progress at DUPONT 6480 Workshop Started.

I have not figured cost per sqft as it is still work in progress.
I have done all of the work myself and with neighbors thus saving dollars. (they had equipment (tractor and bobcat) to dig footings and clear land) We are trading labor for labor. . .
My costs thus far are the following:
concrete and labor to finish - $2,000.00 (shop around on the concrete as it fluctuates)
materials to frame, walls, rafters, soffets, etc. OSB on outside, siding, door on back (existing bldg had garage door that I will keep) roof on new section, felt and shingles on new section, OSB on internal walls - $3,100.00
The electrical supplies to put another box in my house and run cable 250' to a 100 amp subpanel in the workshop - Estimate $2,500.00 w/ labor (another friend and myself)
This does not include insulation, flooring if I decide to put some down, and other internal cabinets, workbench, lighting etc.

I don't know if this helps, but my suggestion is to draw up your plans and get estimates from 3-5 companies. I did get an estimate for the concrete pour to include all the labor (digging, form construction, finish work) for $3,500.00. So I saved $1,500 doing the grunt work myself.

Good luck on your workshop and I will continue to post my progress. This site has been a Godsend for all the expert advice and lessons learned I have received and continue to benefit from submitted by all the site members.

Tim:icon_thum

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Built a 22 x 32 from the ground up last fall. Included vinyl siding and 30 year roofing to match the house. It also has windows and a side door in addition to a overhead door. Paid $7,500 to have a contractor do the footings, block work and pour a concrete floor. Paid roughly another $1000 for an insulated overhead door including installation. I figured the rest cost me roughly $8,000 including the electric service. All was DIY. See pics in my gallery.

DaveD

New User
Dave
Prices can be all oer the place. Sort of like asking what a car costs.
I put $2500 in material into a 12x12 I built for someone.

05180001.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS