New Saw?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luckbox72

New User
Eric
I currently have a Ridgid TS3650 that I bought used about 5 years ago. It was not in the best of shape but I was able to clean up the top and get it running pretty well. I was thinking about purchasing a new table saw. I was looking at the new version Ridgid R4512, The Delta 36-725, but while these would be newer and have a riving knife, My current saw has never had a blade guard and I have used different splinter devices since I have had it, it is pretty much the same saw. So I started looking at the Delta 36-5100 or the Grizzly G0715P or ShopFox W1824. One thing I need to be able to do is move the saw around since I use it in the garage and when not in use needs to be pushed out of the way. So that does make the delta kind of leading the group.

I guess just trying to figure out if I should buy a new saw or if I should just keep my current and do a major maintenance and see what parts need to be replaced. I would really like the riving knife and blade guard, and I would like a better fence system. I could replace that on my current but at the cost to try and reto I fit the current saw, and I would not be able to get a riving knife on my current, would it be better to get a new saw and sell this one.

Grimmy2016

Scott
I just bought the Grizzly not even 4 months ago. It does everything I have wanted thus far. You can add the dolly for the machine for about $70 more and would be worth it if you need to move it around a lot. I was going to switch mine to the 110v so I bought the extra fuse, but I decided to run 220v into the lab. If you need it let me know.

I currently have a Ridgid TS3650 that I bought used about 5 years ago. It was not in the best of shape but I was able to clean up the top and get it running pretty well. I was thinking about purchasing a new table saw. I was looking at the new version Ridgid R4512, The Delta 36-725, but while these would be newer and have a riving knife, My current saw has never had a blade guard and I have used different splinter devices since I have had it, it is pretty much the same saw. So I started looking at the Delta 36-5100 or the Grizzly G0715P or ShopFox W1824. One thing I need to be able to do is move the saw around since I use it in the garage and when not in use needs to be pushed out of the way. So that does make the delta kind of leading the group.

I guess just trying to figure out if I should buy a new saw or if I should just keep my current and do a major maintenance and see what parts need to be replaced. I would really like the riving knife and blade guard, and I would like a better fence system. I could replace that on my current but at the cost to try and reto I fit the current saw, and I would not be able to get a riving knife on my current, would it be better to get a new saw and sell this one.

Danagawa

New User
D
I also would suggest looking at the Laguna fusion. My dad just got one and it is great. It will also be 10% off this weekend at klingspor. It also has a built in mobile base. They have one at the klingspor in Winston. Check it out

tarheelz

Dave
Corporate Member
Hard to make a call on these saws without some sort of budget. The Laguna is serious change compared to the Ridgid.

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
ERic I like Grizzly. They make a great saw. Also have you checked Shark Guard for a splitter for the saw you have. Lee makes one for almost every saw out there

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
If you purchase one of the better Grizzly's or Laguna or any other non-big-box brand Saw, you'll be amazed at how much more accuracy you will get. My Ridgid would not hold a setting for the duration of making 3 cuts. It is really nice to have more precision and repeatability.

If your budget will support it go for the SawStop Contractor Saw or the new Bosch. This might be a stretch though, but you won't regret it.

Luckbox72

New User
Eric
Right now I would say it is be between the Grizzly G0715P, Laguna Fusion. I don't know if I see enough of a difference between the Grizzly and the ShopFox, and for some reason when I look at the Delta 36-5100 it just seems a bit over priced when compared to the other saws. The big question is, is Laguna Fusion that much better than the Grizzly. I do like the fact the trunion is mounted to the frame in the Laguna. I can't find any info on how they are mounted on the Grizzly. The Grizzly I would still have to purchase a mobile base which does bring the price closer. I am sure both are more saw then I would ever really need, this is much more a want than need.[h=1][/h]

Luckbox72

New User
Eric
Well to confuse my decision anymore I have come across the GENERAL INTL-50-200R. This looks like a very nice machine for a good price. Are Cabinet mounted Trunions really that much better than table mounted. The General and Laguna but have cabinet mounted, which everything seems to point to a better setup. I would like to stay below $1000, but at the same time I would like this to be the last table saw I would buy, I am willing to go up to $1500 but trying to find out is it worth chasing the lower end cabinet saw or better to get a top of the line contractor. Agin it needs to keep the ability to be mobile, and this is not my profession.

CDPeters

Master of None
Chris
Are Cabinet mounted Trunions really that much better than table mounted.

Cabinet mounted trunnions make it MUCH easier to tweek the blade-miter slot alignment.

The Grizzly G0690 is just slightly over your $1500 limit, but might be worth considering. It definitely has the cabinet-mounted trunnion, and a better grade of fence. I have one and have been very pleased.

At the end of the day, in my opinion, the quality/accuracy of the fence system is at the top of my list of deciding factors. I fought a lousy fence for a long time and was surprised to discover just how much a good, repeatable and accurate fence improved the quality of my work.

The G0771 would probably be a good budget choice, it is less powerful (2 HP), and the fence is not as robust, but it does have the cabinet mounted trunnions and enclosed cabinet for better dust control.

The G0715 has a better fence and would also be a good choice.

You can add a mobile base to any of them...

Can you tell I like Grizzly?

C.

Luckbox72

New User
Eric
The issue with G0771 is the fence. If they would put the fence from G0715P to the G0771 it would be high on the list, but if i was to get a better after market fence I assume I would have to replace the rails and once I do all that wouldn't the cost get up towards that other saws. The G0715P the only issue I have is the table mounted trunnions. Now the G0690 looks about perfect but is top of the budget.

ste6168

New User
Mike
The issue with G0771 is the fence. If they would put the fence from G0715P to the G0771 it would be high on the list, but if i was to get a better after market fence I assume I would have to replace the rails and once I do all that wouldn't the cost get up towards that other saws. The G0715P the only issue I have is the table mounted trunnions. Now the G0690 looks about perfect but is top of the budget.

FWIW, I have the G0771 and have no issues with the fence. It always locks down straight, and once I got it adjusted, has been great. Another option, which was pointed out on another WW forum, was to upgrade the fence on the G0771 to a bies clone. I have not felt the need to do so.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Delta-Po...7001rw&cm_mmc=CJ-_-6158738-_-11210757&cj=true

Luckbox72

New User
Eric
Anyone know about the steel city 45950-A36 or the 45975-I36. These look pretty nice and have the mobile base built in. Outside of that it is between the grizzly 0771, 0715P, 0690 or 1235RL.

Rick M

New User
Rick
Yep, Steel City is out of business. General International is the cheapified chinese version of General, they don't have a good reputation. The Grizzly G0715P has the same alignment problem that plagues the 4512 and the Craftsman saw; I wouldn't buy any of those three.

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
Eric I have the grizzly G1023SL which is an earlier model of the G1023RLX. The G1023RL is basicly the same saw. Extra$ above the G0715 but your getting the Router table and a 3hp instead of 2 hp. Im in Clayton if you want to come over and see mine before you pull the trigger.

Luckbox72

New User
Eric
I guess with the fact that Steel City is no more I should probably avoid the Steel City Saws on amazon, seeing that there is probably no longer a warranty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS