New (old) Mitre Box - Goodell Pratt All Steel 1306

Status
Not open for further replies.

schnable

New User
Andrew
I picked up a new (old) mitre box + saw on ebay for $50 (shipped). Turns out that this an older Goodell Pratt All Steel (likely 1306) with what looks to be the original Disston made 30 x 6 saw. Here are a few before pictures:

IMG_3231.jpgIMG_3230.jpg

And here is is mostly disassembled:

IMG_3250.jpg

After a day of electrolysis for the big parts (and evaporust for the bolts and small parts), and some brushing/cleanup:

IMG_3252.jpgIMG_3253.jpg

I had to straight the saw a bit and resharpen (but did very little to the saw beyond that.) Here is a picture of new mitre box ready to go:

IMG_0003.jpg

cuts hard maple like butter and the 90's and 45's are spot on. Anyone in the market for a sliding cross cut power mitre saw? I will be selling one shortly!

Andrew

wghatcher

Greg
Senior User
I am trying to do a similar cleanup on a Millers Falls Langdon Acme 74C, and I am trying to determine the best way to remove the swinging lever so that I can fit the individual pieces into my pan to soak in evaporust. I cannot see an obvious method to take these apart. Do I just knock them apart?

Pop

New User
Pop Ryan
Nice addition to the shop! I have a Goodell Pratt benchtop hack saw I just love. For anyone like me who hates sawing steel tubing or rods, this made life soooo much easier. No blade drift while sawing through so square ends are a given. A testament to the old stuff made from steel and not plastic like today!

Rick M

New User
Rick
Nice restore. Goodell Pratt never skimped on the iron did they, I own a couple of their tools and both are built like tanks. I'm pretty sure their hand crank grinder will outlive my grandkids.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS