New Member, WNC

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevinmcguire

New User
Mac
Hey all. glad to finally join up after enjoying the lurker thing.

I've been working wood since the mid-70's. My remodeler older brother hired me to sweep up, and to carry boards- an auspicious beginning! So I learned from the ground up. Carpenter's helper and carpenter until around '80 when I opened Heartwood- a cabinet shop in Birmingham- partnering with Jim Mack, a talented friend. We built whatever walked through the door, a terrific learning process.

My wife and I moved to Asheville NC in '89. I built a remodeling business concentrating on the aging 10's & 20's building stock here- mostly Arts & Crafts structures, with a few wonderful 40's-60's Early Modern projects as well. I admire any quality architecture, no matter the time period.

I've authored woodworking project books since '94 through Sterling Publishing (Div. of B&N) and continue to write and enjoy new editions.

I'm just retired from my remodeling career- except for our 1926 classic in the Grove Park neighborhood in town, which requires constant remodeling :eusa_doh:

My current work is launching a website offering plans from my project books.

Thanks for listening, I enjoy the forum-

b4man

New User
Barbara
Hey Kevin and welcome to our group!

I'm so excited to see your projects. Please post pix and jump in anytime. I really look forward to your input.

Barbara

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Welcome to the forum Mac. :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap Sounds like you've got a wealth of knowledge. You've found a wonderful group of folks here. It's great that you have joined us. :icon_thum

kevinmcguire

New User
Mac
Thanks all, I really appreciate it.

The avatar I just put up- a balance toy I designed for a book in '95- is typical of projects in my books and what will be on my website whenever it launches :eusa_doh: Mostly retro-style playthings for young people, built by adults.

My work experience is wider than that and I'm always learning from other builders and from research in many directions, every day. Thanks for that.

Currently I have a particular interest in vintage toys and and collect anything that inspires my designs for building, from early tin toys to cartoons to current events.

I'll post some examples soon, thanks again. First I have to dig deeper into your excellent site!

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
Hey Mac - welcome to the forum. Glad you found the best pile of sawdust on the web.
There are some gorgeous places in the north end and throughout the city. Been in lots of them in that area, style and character of some of the old Asheville houses certainly represent one end to the other. The city of just loves the word DIVERSE. Glad to see them get refurbished instead of bulldozed.
Look forward to seeing your input. Jump in whenever you can.
By the way - glad to see another local. The east and middle of the state have us in numbers but we've been picking up a little.

M

McRabbet

Welcome to the website, Kevin -- glad you found us and trust you will join in the forum discussions. I sent you an email earlier about our local woodworking group, the Western NC Woodworkers Associaition and hope you can join us at our next meeting this coming Saturday.

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
Welcome Kevin. This is a wonderful group of people. Looking forward to your input, you have a lot to offer.:icon_cheers

mikeacg

New User
Mike
Welcome to our little corner of paradise! I'll have to look through my library to see if I have any books you wrote! Can't wait to see pictures!!

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Welcome to the site.:eusa_danc

I look forward to reading your future posts as well.

Wayne

kevinmcguire

New User
Mac
Thanks all.

I've looked around and let me ask, where is the preferred discussion to post work photos? These will be archived pics, not the latest work pics which will be upcoming.

Thanks again,

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis
Thanks all.

I've looked around and let me ask, where is the preferred discussion to post work photos? These will be archived pics, not the latest work pics which will be upcoming.

Thanks again,

First click on the Photo Gallery tab at the top of the page and upload your pics. You can create multiple galleries and organize you photos however you'd like. You can then start a thread that has a link to the galleries or had the photos embedded. I'd put those threads in whatever forum best fits the projects.

Travis

knb226

New User
Kelly
Welcome to the site. I am a newbie as well, also the extent of my woodworking extends to one project of laying floors in my house and cutting some 2x4's for various projects. No turning as of yet or the variety of projects you have done. Everyone on here is great too and helps with anything. I am from Asheville originally as well grew up and went to high school there. How long have you lived in Asheville?

Gregory Paolini

New User
Gregory Paolini
Kevin,

Welcome! Hi from the mountains - Just a little west of you in the Waynesville area. Great to have you here!

-Gregory

eyekode

New User
Salem
Welcome to the forum Mac!
I cannot wait to see your work :). By the way there is a fair amount of website experience in this group as well. If you need any help there maybe post to the off topic forum?

Good luck!
Salem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS