New member from Durham

glennd8115

New User
glennd8115
Just joined and hope to use the sight for wood working info. I have been wood working for 40 years of my soon to be 70 years on earth. Love it so much. Lately I have been spoon carving. Took a class in it at Roy Underhill's school. Sad he just closed the school.

Just wanted folks to also know that the recent storm in Durham knocked down a large Black Cherry tree in my yard. I am going to have a couple of logs milled but would really love to have people take some logs for milling also. FREE logs! I pains me to think of this wood going to waste.

Looking forward to discussions on this site!

Glenn Martin

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Welcome Glenn, I have carved a few spoons. I started in 1989 and still do a few a year.
Never took a class, there were none when I started. But, I do teach sometimes.
I have family in Durham so maybe we will cross paths sometime.

FFE8E739-9C89-4789-85DA-0F615EE95615_1_105_c.jpeg

E0691B86-5C50-4480-BEFD-B4EE7DD3338C_1_105_c.jpeg

B4FA0957-E183-49CB-A586-B8C52A98D58F_1_201_a.jpeg

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
What size (length & diameter) are the logs you mention? Do you mind posting some pictures?

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
Welcome to the site.

If you can hold back some main branch crotches, I can turn some bowls from your tree. Pick up at the Extravaganza in October if you don't mind coming to Hickory.

buckaroo

Buck
User
HI Glenn and welcome!
I'm in Durham too and I'd love to have some if the cherry wood. Do you know about the free woodyard operated by the county near the landfill? It must be overflowing with logs after that scary "bomb storm" that we had last week. I've been through several hurricanes and never saw wind like that.

Mrfixit71

Board of Directors, Treasurer
Rich
Staff member
Corporate Member
Welcome.

I am interested in some of your black cherry for turning bowls. I'm in Pittsboro and have a flexible schedule.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS