New member from Aiken, South Carolina

Fay

Fay
User
It is in the code. I think it differs electric and gas.
I went to mostly GFI breakers as the outlets you get from the orange and blue stores are unreliable in my experience. Most of my house is on GFI. Now new code says AF-GFI for a lot of circuits, but I found them unreliable. Use only commercial grade outlets. Never the 98 cent crap and never the back-stab connections. I don't trust the new Waco connectors based on my years in Failure Analysis for a computer company. Took a two week class from AMP on interconnections, from die to substation transformers.
Never assume your contractor has a clue. A few do, many are completely clueless. A few more do know, but if not watched and questioned, will do it the cheap easy way instead of correctly.
I want to thank you again for your advice - visited my local electrical supply center this morning, bought the outlets, returned the two to Home Depot, and saved $6+ in the process.

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
Hi,

My name is Fay,

I'm now embarking on a gut renovation of my kitchen and need some advice from the experts so here I am. Many thanks in advance!
Fay, I'm over the interstate and through the woods in Trenton off Bettis Academy.

JimD

Jim
Senior User
Welcome. I'm another SC member, I am in Lexington. I built new cabinets for one house two houses and several decades ago. It was kind of fun but a lot of work too. Fortunately I had a very patient wife. In my current house I hired a contractor to gut the kitchen and do some other things but I did the finish electrical, plumbing and carpentry. Including installing the cabinets. I built the walls for an island too. I'm confident I do not know everything but I have some experience at lots of tasks. I also have some cabinet jacks you are welcome to borrow if you need them for cabinet installation. They assume you install the base cabinets first and the jacks support the uppers while you get them just where you want them. They screw adjust for height.

Fay

Fay
User
Thank you so much for your generosity in offering to lend me your cabinet jacks. I'm not doing any installation myself - too old, alas - and my kitchen designer includes installation in her pricing for the cabinetry, so I imagine her crew will be bringing jacks. They sound like a nifty piece of equipment.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS