New in Western North Carolina

Hello,

I started in construction about 7-8 years ago and started my own business after 2 or so years into it. I was definitely not ready; I didn't know enough about building and didn't own enough tools, but where there is a will there is a way. About 4-5 years ago I made a round table top from black walnut and sold it for... $300. It reused a metal base but I had no idea what the table was worth and it was my first ever so I didn't even know if it would end up being flat! It was flat and the customer was extremely happy. Being cocky and motivated I pressed forward with built ins and furniture, again without enough knowledge and without all of the right tools.

Fast forward to today and now I own $15,000 worth of tools, probably $8,000-$10,000 in Festool tools and I can build ALMOST anything now. I still haven't built everything and every variation on it but I always figure it out. Taking risks is what I do, so I bought Festool tools using credit and paying off the borrowed money with money I earned using the tools. I had a hard time understanding the value of Festool tools until I bought into the system and now I understand how much money they make me through not having to rework anything and saving me the frustration. I am still a student, still learning, but I have amassed enough experience and knowledge to confidently educate and teach others as well and I get lots of satisfaction from helping others to learn and grow.

I'm on this forum to continue my education and to educate others so we can all rise with the tide. I want to meet other local woodworkers to help each other with projects and support each other in our growth as woodworkers. I have a 650sq/ft shop and a lot of tools, but I don't own everything so it would be great to make friends who can let me use tools I don't already own, like a large bandsaw or CNC. I am offering my shop and tool collection to help local craftsmen when I have the time, but I'm still growing my own business so I don't have much spare time. Of course only after proper vetting of a man (or woman's) real intentions. <-- read that as I'm a nice guy but nobody can take advantage of me and you don't want me as an enemy. So be nice.

I'm located in Waynesville, NC to be more specific. My website is www.ambergrainwoodworks.com

Wiley's Woodworks

Wiley
Corporate Member
Hey Beau--Welcome to Waynesville and Haywood County. We have a group of woodworkers who get together for lunch about every 6 weeks or so and just talk sawdust. We call ourselves the Waynesville Woodworkers. In our group we have furniture makers, wood turners, knick knack makers, picture frame makers and a whole lot more. We also know all the best local resources for everything associated with woodworking. I would like to invite you join us at our next get together; it will be sometime before Thanksgiving. PM me with your email address and phone # so I can put you on the mailing list. In the meantime you are welcome to stop by my shop and get the tour.

Oops--My phone # is 828.246.8055. I look forward to meeting you.

Last edited:

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS