New in Fayetteville

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikewf

New User
Mike
Hello all, I have just moved to the Fayetteville area from Tennessee. I am stationed at Fort Bragg. I have been in the Army for just over 20 years now and have just started in the last 6 months really getting into woodworking. I have dabbled for years at building things but now I have been doing it seriously. I have been teaching myself by trial and error of course. I absolutely love doing it and will take any advice I can from anyone willing to give it. Joints are my nemesis right now so any advice is appreciated. My shop is my garage and I make do as best I can with a lot of constructive criticism (nagging) from my wife. My other drawback is supplies, finding anything in the Fayetteville area is #### near impossible. If there is anyone in the area that can point me in the right directions please let me know. I am glad to be apart of a group of people with the same passion for this as I have. I look forward to learning from you guys, and will share anything I can. My first real project was A Hope Chest for a friends wife for Christmas, Yes I know it was way harder than I though it was actually going to be. Pic below. Look forward to meeting people and learning all I can.

Mike

profilepic9700_2.gif

Steve_Honeycutt

Chat Administartor
Steve
Mike,

Thank you for your service to our country.

I'm glad you found us. Raleigh has a Klingspor store (great sandpaper and once you reach "discount qualified" status, they will give you 10% off) and a Woodcraft store. The Hardwood Store, also one of our advertisers, has lumber and will honor "discount qualified" status. They are located northwest of Greensboro in Gibsonville. There are a number of sawyers on the site as well. Scott Smith, located in New Hill, NC specializes in quarter sawn white oak, but he also carries other species.

You have started your post the way we like, with pictures.

I'll be sending you a PM next week about the New Member chat on February 6 at 8:00 pm. I hope you will join us.

There are plenty of opportunities for you to meet other members and get involved. I hope you will take advantage of them.

Steve H.

Bryan S

Bryan
Welcome to our little sawdust pile on the web Mike, glad you found us. If ya want to learn you came to the right place. there are plenty of good people here and there is always someone willing to lend a hand.

Please do not be shy, feel free to join in a conversation or ask any question.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Welcome Mike. First, let me thank you for your service to our great country. You'll find no shortage of veterans on this site. Until recently there was a very nice wood shop on Pope Air Field. Unfortunately, it was closed as part of the sequester.

One great way to improve your woodworking skills is to read the post on this site, and ask questions if something doesn't make sense. I've been woodworking over 40 years and I constantly learn something from the responses here.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Mike-
I too want to thank you for your service to our great country!
That hope chest is gorgeous!

GREAT JOB!

You WILL enjoy being a part of this community and it seems you already have multiple skills!

skysharks

New User
John Macmaster
Nice looking piece. I like the color combo.
I Live real close to you, in Eastover. I could probably help you out with finding stuff.
Send me a Pm and we can exchange numbers.

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
Mike welcome to the dust pile.....great folks here...I have to say that's an awesome chest for any skill level especially for a first project.Thankyou for serving :eusa_danc

woodworkerfella

New User
Darren
Hello Mike,

I'm also in Fayetteville. When I'm in Raleigh, Woodcraft is my go-to store. Their on-line store is great too. What kind of projects to you like to build. Nice chest you made there.

Darren

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS