New Christmas Toys ... uhhh ... I meant tools

Martin Roper

Martin
Senior User
My wife got me a mini chain saw to prune some of the trees in our yard.

1703607755964.png

Santa (me) brought some Fisch Wave Runner Forstner bits...

1703607880797.png

...and an EnjoyWood miter gauge:
1703608271379.png

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Wife got the flu, and I got RSV. Not exactly the Christmas we had planned. This makes five in a row. 2019 & 2020 lock down, 2021, I had a heart attack, 2022, we BOTH had Covid, and then there is this year. Can hardly wait to see what next Christmas brings!

Wiley's Woodworks

Wiley
Corporate Member
Now that we're through all the jokes about shop lights and disco balls, my wife gave me new lights for my converted garage-to-workshop. WOW do they make a difference!!

When we moved in, as part of my shop set-up, I upgraded 4 dual bulb globe fixtures from 100W incandescent to the brightest LED bulbs available. There was a significant improvement in brightness, and I thought the job was done. My electrician has been prodding me to let him install the newest long tube LED fixtures. I've started struggling to read some of my measuring instruments--anything that's brushed steel with black markings--, so I went for it.

What got installed are 4' and 8' long twin tube fixtures that look like the old style fluorescent fixtures with skinny tubes. Again, WOW do they make a difference. The bulbs are rated "natural light", and to me they illuminate as well as sunlight through the windows. The light spreads out much better than the old globes, and the colors of various raw woods has even improved. This is one of the best investments I've ever made in my woodworking shop. There's no tool that will make my woodworking easier or less straining than these lights.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
When I moved here there were 2 tube light fixtures in the Garage (500²) and 6 in the adjacent basement (1100²)

Now I have 10 2bulb-T8/4ft led fixtures in the garage and 22 in the basement area .... Most areas are lit up to 45-50 ft candle. I got the fixtures from Costco when they were like 15 bucks/per, just had to run the additional circuits.

Now that we're through all the jokes about shop lights and disco balls, my wife gave me new lights for my converted garage-to-workshop. WOW do they make a difference!!

When we moved in, as part of my shop set-up, I upgraded 4 dual bulb globe fixtures from 100W incandescent to the brightest LED bulbs available. There was a significant improvement in brightness, and I thought the job was done. My electrician has been prodding me to let him install the newest long tube LED fixtures. I've started struggling to read some of my measuring instruments--anything that's brushed steel with black markings--, so I went for it.

What got installed are 4' and 8' long twin tube fixtures that look like the old style fluorescent fixtures with skinny tubes. Again, WOW do they make a difference. The bulbs are rated "natural light", and to me they illuminate as well as sunlight through the windows. The light spreads out much better than the old globes, and the colors of various raw woods has even improved. This is one of the best investments I've ever made in my woodworking shop. There's no tool that will make my woodworking easier or less straining than these lights.

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
Hey, but it’s not a disco ball. Next thing you know Gene will start wearing a three piece suit and walking with a strut.🤣
Actually gave up 3 piece suits in the 80’s. Gave up ties completely, except formal nights on cruise ships about 5 years ago.

OBTW, ball is hung in the center of the shop. Need a spinner donation along with spot lights. Anybody?

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
You know, Gene, all of us here (as well as your daughter) are going to want to see that installed in your shop. Pictures, please.
You asked…
And one of the new light fixtures. Most are pointed up to reflect off the ceiling and minimize shadows. I was surprised art how well it works.

Attachments

• IMG_2012.jpeg
    IMG_2012.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 45
  • IMG_2013.jpeg
    IMG_2013.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 49

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors