New career, wood shop instructor

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidF

New User
David
I remember one of my supervisors I worked for here back in the "70's. He was a good woodworker but had no shop, tools, or space for either. The local community college offered a "woodworking" night course. Whenever his wife wanted a piece of furniture, he would go to the store where she saw it, take measurements, then sign up for the class and build it. His cost was class + materials. He made some awesome furniture (Formal dining table, China hutch, full bedroom suite) just in the few years I was here. (He had the gall to have the furniture store appraise the china hutch for "insurance purposes" and they appraised it over $500 more than the one in their store that he copied). The "class" offered use of tools, and a "teacher" that could help students through any difficulties, as well as ensure safety, etc. Each student designed and built their own project. I think they also offered materials at a mark-up from the suppliers. They did not offer 24/7 shop access, but did allow students extra access during off-class hours during the day or non-class nights with the instructor's permission.

The first couple classes were shop safety, and certifying the students on the machines. After that, it was design and review, materials list, and on with the project. (I think he applied the finish at home).

Basically, it allowed everyone to make the projects within their capabilities and financial means. A "certificate of completion" was given to initial students, but they were allowed to repeat as often as class size would permit.

JMTCW

Go

Having thought about Tim's comments, and now your's GO, this may be the way to go (sorry!) To just be there as a resource while the students bring in ideas and projects and lend a hand when they need it. If that's basic stuff like sharpening or advice on design or construction. I know I would have liked that in the early days. The Tech Shops motto is "Build your dream" so this would fit in with that overall process. Now to get the word out!! and plan how this would work in practise. Would be fun for me for sure, I could be involved in four different projects at that same time!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS