New benchtop

Melinapex

Mark
Corporate Member
I made my workbench years ago from 2x and plywood. Limited space has me using the bench for storage as well. So it has always been a little flexy and I have wanted to replace the top with something more substantial. Almost a year ago Stuart (NC furniture school) traded me a pile of Jatoba for my akeda dovetail jig.
I finally got some time to work on this and had no idea how much work this was going to be! I am sore all over - lotsa planing - but it is starting to look like what I wanted.

Here's what I started with

I don't know how much it weighed but it was heavy!

Here's how far I got thru today

I will put a well at the back of the bench and I got the little veritas inset vise to install at this end. Put my old vise back on and back to work.

marinosr

Richard
Corporate Member
Nice! Never seen a jatoba workbench. You'll be so much happier with how your bench behaves with the thick top. Keep on truckin' with that flattening! I did the same to mine and it sure did wear me out.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Very nice, sturdy top. Are the pieces just glued together, or is there a mechanical fastener (e.g. threaded rod) running through it?

Melinapex

Mark
Corporate Member
Very nice, sturdy top. Are the pieces just glued together, or is there a mechanical fastener (e.g. threaded rod) running through it?
All glued together. Only metal is a lag bolt on each end coming up into it thru the top 2x to keep it in place.... not that it could move much, I would guess it weighs at least 300 lbs ....

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Mark, your bench is looking great! I have never worked with Jatoba, how is it to plane? Also, how long is it? Make sure to post a pic of the finished product.

Melinapex

Mark
Corporate Member
Mark, your bench is looking great! I have never worked with Jatoba, how is it to plane? Also, how long is it? Make sure to post a pic of the finished product.
Thanks Donn, it is 8' long and almost 2' wide and is a bit over 2 1/2" thick. The stuff is hard as a rock and has given me lots of sharpening practice! It is pretty much flat now but there are still a few low spots and areas where the scrub plane did its thing. But I am thinking I will go with it for now and see how it works before spending a lot more time making it pretty. Odds are I will put a few more dents in it anyway so might as well get back to making stuff....

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Nice new bench. Just the top alone should weigh about 190 lb (8' x 2' x 2.5" t) with Jatoba weighing about 57 lb/cu ft. It's definitely hard wood with a Janka hardness of 2,690 compared to white oak at 1,350.

I doubt that you'll put a few more dents in that wood!

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors