New assembly table

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I haven't had a lot of time for woodworking lately, lots of travel for work these days. I started this project back in February, and only completed it mid September. And it's take this long to get the pictures posted :embaresse.

The design is Alan Shaffter's torsion box table that was in American Woodworker. It's a great size, and straightforward to build. The NCWW part doesn't end there; the edge is QSWO from Scott Smith, and the laminate on top was a gift from MarkE. I decided to use the space underneath to store short cutoffs and the 1/4" plywood sheetlets that MarkE snagged a few years ago.

20140914_144435.jpg 20140914_184036.jpg

I still need to build a few drawers for the center section, to store all the really small pieces currently in the cardboard box. It'll probably be Christmas by the time that's done :gar-Bi. The table is nice and flat. There are a couple of places where there's a slight dip toward the edge, but we're talking < 1/64". I can live with that.

I put some T-track in the edge to give me the ability to clamp some jigs to the table, without having to cut slots in the table surface.
20140908_184339.jpg

So far, so good. I made a jig to make it easy to cut slots for biscuits. That worked pretty well. Next up will be a jig for face frames, and one to hold up the hose of the vacuum to make sanding a little less awkward.
20140913_220932.jpg

The only thing I really messed up was not thinking about fastening the top to the base. I should have glued some plywood squares to the torsion box skin during assembly (i.e. inside the grid), to make sure the screws had something more solid to grip into. 1/2" MDF won't hold very well. I compensated by putting lots of extra screws in, but that wasn't easy because the openings in the cabinet barely allowed for a screwdriver to fit. It's not a huge deal since I won't be lifting this table by the top EVER (it weights about 500lb loaded with wood), but it's one of those "duh" mistakes.

Rather than using aluminum T-track, it would have been easier to cut the slot directly into the wood. QSWO is plenty strong, and countersinking holes in aluminum is not easy given how narrow the opening is. It would have saved some money too!

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Great project Bas. I like the multi-purpose functionality. And thanks for sharing the tips on what you would do differently next time.

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
Nice job on the assembly table, Bas...and who couldn't use more storage space in their shop?

redknife

New User
Chris
nice job. on my to do list (admittedly down a bit) so will be looking back on this at some point as a reference. looks like good dimensions for an assembly table.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Great work there, Bas!:icon_thum

I really like the T-track idea around the perimeter. The biscuit cutting "fence" reminds me of how I double duty my MLCS router table fence as well! (Only on a much larger scale.)

Wayne

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Bas:
Similar to the post above, I learn as much (remember more?) from your comments on 'mistakes' or things you would change, as I do from what you actually did.

Thanks for the great post.

Henry

farmerbw

Brian
Corporate Member
Very nice indeed. What are the dimensions on it? Wondering what height you decided on.....

B

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Very nice indeed. What are the dimensions on it? Wondering what height you decided on.....

B
The assembly table is ~ 64" x 41", per the plans. The actual measurements are not nice round numbers, I left the hardwood edging ~ 7/8" thick without really measuring. For the height, I settled on 30 1/2". I experimented with different heights, and this is the most comfortable for assembly. Any higher and I wouldn't be able to assembly a 35" kitchen cabinet on it without a step stool.

dwminnich

New User
Dave
Nice! I've started putting white laminate on all my work surfaces. Glue cleanup's a breeze and it makes a great surface for taking notes.

--dave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors