Need suggestions on a good Tenon Saw...

Status
Not open for further replies.

hk538

New User
hk538
I've finally decided to make some time as best I can to try learning mortise and tenon joinery. I have a few old chisels that should work until I can get better ones. Don't have any sort of tenon saw though and I'd appreciate any suggestions on brands, types. My budget isn't very much and I'd even consider a used saw if it could be sharpened.

Any suggestions?

Thanks again
Greg

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Personally I like the Japanese style pull saws. I find them much easier to start and their very thin kerf make the sawing easier. They do take a little getting use to, especially if you are accustom in a Western push saw.
A simple Dozuki saw will do many of your joinery needs like DTs, tenons and general precision cut-off work.

499-0210-v2-lg.jpg

Most only cost in the $20-80 range, and the blades are replaceable so you don't have to deal with sharpening or setting the teeth.
MTCW,
Dave:)

sapwood

New User
Roger
I have never used one . . . but I've recently read that German Bow Saws cut faster and more accurately than other types. Of course, I've read a lot of things that didn't turn out to be true :roll:

Roger

hk538

New User
hk538
I didn't think there were so many choices in these type saws. I've run across the Japanese type while searching online and they look to be the best choice at the moment. I may just give one a try and see how it goes. Maybe when and if I get up to speed on the mortise and tenon, I can put a little more toward a good Western style back saw. Just something about those that I like. Maybe it's all the curvy lines in the handle.

Thanks for the info

Greg

4yanks

New User
Willie
Greg,

I have an old Disston. It is nice and I would recommend one to anyone who has the patience to find one on the old tool market for a reasonable price. As long as one is not bent it can be rehabilitated. Otherwise, the Wenzloff or Lie Nielson saws are very nice. Unless your bent on neaderthal technique I would strongly recommend you cut the tenons on a table saw if you have one.

hk538

New User
hk538
I broke down and ordered one of the Japanese saws and I can't wait to give it a try. I guess the idea of pulling instead of pushing will be a bit different, but I'm interested to see how it does.
Thanks for all the suggerstions and advice:icon_thum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors