Need something to do on Friday???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis
Well, the wife and kids are heading out of towm this weekend so I'm going to get some time in the shop. Right now it's a total disaster. Nothing is in it's place becuase nothing has a place which means every horizontal surface is piled up with random things (not to mention the boxes and tubs in the storage room) and not only is there no place to work but there's not space to do it even if I could.

So, I'm hoping to make good attempt to get organized the weeked. The problem is I have no idea where to start. If there is anyone in the area who's got a good eye for shop organization and is available on Friday during the day it would be awesome to have some input and fresh ideas. Lunch is on me.

Trav

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Durham is a little far to come, even for a free lunch, but if you find yourself near a bookstore, here's a book I've found very useful for organizing my shop.

"Smart Workshop Solutions", by Paul Anthony, Taunton Press.
I've used several ideas out of it. Just a thought. :wsmile:

Bill

Bob Alexander

New User
Bob
Don, especially likes the side trips to see tools, projects, and wood, but doing lunch is often on the agenda when he asks, "You want to go for a ride?" We've met some real nice guys with great ideas to share that way.

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis
Thanks for the info Bill, I'll definitley look into it as I do long term planning. Gotta figure something for the short term though...

Don, Sounds good to me! Like pizza??

Thanks!

Trav

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Well, the wife and kids are heading out of towm this weekend so I'm going to get some time in the shop. Right now it's a total disaster. Nothing is in it's place becuase nothing has a place which means every horizontal surface is piled up with random things (not to mention the boxes and tubs in the storage room) and not only is there no place to work but there's not space to do it even if I could.

So, I'm hoping to make good attempt to get organized the weeked. The problem is I have no idea where to start. If there is anyone in the area who's got a good eye for shop organization and is available on Friday during the day it would be awesome to have some input and fresh ideas. Lunch is on me.

Trav

Only one problem once you get it cleaned up you won't be able to stand it and you'll have to mess it up real quick. BTW a leaf blower makes quick work of the floor, walls and rafters.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Travis,

Sounds like a cool project and free food is always a good thing. :rolleyes: Depending on what time I get back into town, I might be able to stop by. :eusa_thin

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis
Wow, that's great! Looks like we'll have three plus me for pizza. I'll send a group PM so we can work out the time.

Travis

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis
Only one problem once you get it cleaned up you won't be able to stand it and you'll have to mess it up real quick. BTW a leaf blower makes quick work of the floor, walls and rafters.

I know it's a bit pedantic but I'm making a big distinction between clean and organized. I have no problems with a messy (well used) shop, but I do at least need to have space to work and know where things are.....

Looks like I've got some space experts who will be stopping by, I think I'm in very good hands!

Trav

jhreed

james
Corporate Member
Travis, be sure & let us know how this works. Supply before and after pictures. I also need leadership to get my small space organized.
James

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis
Travis, be sure & let us know how this works. Supply before and after pictures. I also need leadership to get my small space organized.
James

I will, though I think tomorrow will mostly be planning and brainstorming, and eating of course!

Travis

Bob Alexander

New User
Bob
Morphed is the right word for our shop. Don and I planned a whole lot and then Don went to work. After a few weeks or months we decided to alter the plans a bit. We added two lathes and a drum sander that requird alterations in our 12 x 12 space. Today I cleaned and sorted tool boxes and piles. It isn't done but at least for awhile there won't be quite such a long search for me through my toolboxes. Don, will probably have fun for awhile though. We do get used to our piles. Hope you guys got a lot accomplished this afternoon and the plans are not set in concrete.:gar-Bi

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis
Jim, Don, and I had a great time. I've not only got a truckload of ideas and good advise I also have a fridge full of leftover pizza!!! :eusa_danc

I should have all of the sugestions implemented in, oh, 3-5 years.... I'll be sure to post a lot of excellent after pictures!

In all seriousness, much thanks to Jim and Don!!

Travis

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
Jim, Don, and I had a great time. I've not only got a truckload of ideas and good advise I also have a fridge full of leftover pizza!!! :eusa_danc

I should have all of the sugestions implemented in, oh, 3-5 years.... I'll be sure to post a lot of excellent after pictures!

In all seriousness, much thanks to Jim and Don!!

Travis

:dontknow:Jim was there? and you had leftovers??????:rotflm:

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Thanks for having us over!

Loads of fun and no heavy lifting.

In perverse irony, Don and I are both in 12x12 shed/shops while Travis has a massive shop. So we had to turn off our "use every square inch" mindset. Sort of like my first trip to an all you can eat buffet :)

In the future, I'll be sure to eat anyone who has me over out of house and home :)

Jim

Don Alexander

New User
Don
then again if you keep that "use every square inch " mentality just think about how many more toys ....... errrr ....... tools that you could fit into it :rotflm::rotflm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS