Need recommendations for Lazy Susan

Status
Not open for further replies.

farmerbw

Brian
Corporate Member
Anyone have any recommendations or experience with lazy susan bearings they'd like to share? I'm building a turntable for a "kitchen" table and will be needing one of these in the real near future so I'm probably gonna have to go local for it. The top of the turntable is 28" and the bottom will be 24". I'd like a low profile and low noise unit, not like the old screechers. :)

I was looking at this one from WoodCraft and the reviews are mostly good, anyone have experience with it? I found this one at Klingspor, but they don't give the height for it and I'm guessing the rubber feet could be removed for my application. I'm open to suggestions from any vendors in the Raleighwood area if anyone has a unit they're happy with.

TIA,
B.

Tim Sherwood

Tim
Corporate Member
Brian I really liked the ones I used to build two 32" corner units in my kitchen. I got them from M&M Supply in Greensboro. They are cast aluminum rings and run very quietly. The picture that Klingspor shows looks like the same unit, but may not be. I think the total height was 1/2".

Charlie

Charlie
Corporate Member
Brian, Whatever bearing you use, cut a recess in the top and/or bottom to set the bearing into. You can then have whatever space you wish between top and bottom. I usually leave about 1/8"

DWSmith

New User
David
I used a 300 mm bearing from VXB Bearings. It is identical to the one you found at Klingspor but a little cheaper. They are actually very easy to install, operate quietly and only raise the lazy susan about 1/2".

farmerbw

Brian
Corporate Member
Thanks for the feedback Tim and David on your experiences.

Charlie, thanks for the tip. I hadn't considered recessing the bearing, but it sounds like a good idea time permitting. How do you recess yours? Router jig or mark it and free hand?

B.

Charlie

Charlie
Corporate Member
Brian, I have always done it free hand. The recesses are hidden when the project is completed.

JohnW

New User
John
Brian,
I've used the type from Woodcraft on a bunch of LZ Susans. They worked out very well. Very smooth and quiet. Once loaded down they run smoother and quieter. I bought a few from Woodcraft but have started getting them from my cabinet supplier. Same thing just less expensive. I use the 12" on bottom base cabs and the 9" on upper corner cabs. The way I install them you must drill one small hole in the tray. (I make my own trays) This allows access to the fasteners for final installation. I think this hole is 3/8" or 5/16". Once food is in the tray, the hole is not seen. I've only recessed one time due to very tight space requirements. Used router w/ circle jig. But Charlie makes a good point, you don't see the cut out once in use. But the bottom of the cut-out should be very flat so the tray is perfectly level. Once recessed, there is less clearance and level becomes more important.

I don't have any experience with the type from Klingspores.

farmerbw

Brian
Corporate Member
Charlie, very good point that it won't be seen once together. I was over thinking and overlooking that. :BangHead: What router bit do you usually use for the recess? Spiral upcut or maybe downcut?

John, thanks. I'll be drilling an access hole in the base/bottom piece since I'll have access to it so my top will remain solid. Thinking the hole can also be used to hang the turntable for storage or display. We'll see how that works out since this thing may be kinda heavy once completed...

B

Charlie

Charlie
Corporate Member
Brian, I just use a standard straight bit because you are removing very little material. Start in the center and work out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS