NEED New Tool to Complete Christmas Gifts

Status
Not open for further replies.

cpowell

New User
Chuck
I need some [STRIKE]honest[/STRIKE] supporting feedback.

Is it reasonable to tell LOYL that you need an OSS to complete 5 BS boxes that she wants to hand out to her friends before Christmas? I have never made a BS box but it looks like a LOT of sanding. I guess I should ask if the timeline is reasonable. The gifts can be handed out the day before Christmas. I have glued up a few blocks that will be ready to go under the knife tomorrow.

The boxes will be simple curves - 1 drawer. I realize there will be a lot of corners to hand sand but it seems an OSS would really speed things up for everything else.

I haven't made a BS box before but have looked at the pieces shown off here and have sorted out construction details. I will need to pick up some of the drawer slide/spacer strips (how's that for a redneck description) and probably will flock the inner drawer - which should mean LESS sanding, right? How do I use the spacer strips/slides and where can I get them? Does anyone have pics?

I was thinking about the Ridgid EB4424 from HD. Then I was wondering if the new Raleigh Woodcraft or Klingspor's had the Jet OSS in stock. :eusa_thin If so, is it worth the addl cost for the Jet?

I may be smitten with a relapse of WGD...naw, I really NEED an OSS...I'm NOT just rationalizing. :lol: :lol:

Chuck

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I believe Woodcraft has the Jet, but I am not completely sure.

I have looked at the Rigid, and personally, consider it a very nice unit. I especially like the fact that the table tilts. I have considered upgrading from my Delta BOSS to it.

An OSS is definitively a good tool to have.
Nah, WG disease is coming!:lol:

T

toolferone

Chuck, The Rigid is a good sander for the money, but to me does not compare to the Jet. The main thing to think about is the length of the spindle and the depth of the boxes. The old Delta I had would not do the full depth of the boxes. The Jet a 6" I think, and the Rigid is 5". Remember you do loose some depth below the table top.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Is it reasonable to tell LOYL that you need an OSS to complete 5 BS boxes that she wants to hand out to her friends before Christmas? Yes, an OSS will be very handy to have.

probably will flock the inner drawer - which should mean LESS sanding, right? A little less, but it won't eliminate the sanding. The flocking is a very thin coating that will show any major surface irregularities How do I use the spacer strips/slides and where can I get them? Does anyone have pics? I have used Slicktape, which is a UHMW plastic strip tape. It will lift the bottom of the drawer off the bottom of the box and help to center the drawer front in the kerf. A couple of strip on the inside of the box aligned with the bottom of the drawer does the trick nicely. I also like to make my drawer fronts from another wood, so I can make them thicker and take up some of the space created by the 2 BS kerfs

I was thinking about the Ridgid EB4424 from HD.

Chuck

I have the Ridgid and have been quite happy with it. Tom does have a good point on the spindle length and travel. But you always can flip the box over and sand from the other side blending in the middle if the box is greater than the spindle length. Another hand tool to have is a trim router with a small round-over bit. Ideally one the doesn't have a guide bearing only a brass guide post allowing you to get into corners easier. A uniform router cut radius around all the edges looks so much better than trying to sand a round-over.

Dave:)

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
For one box, you suck it up and do it by hand.
For five boxes, you buy a tool.

Don't forget to post pictures.

Bas.

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
I am with Bas and Scott.

Now if you are still unsure, post pics of the completed boxes, then pics of the new tool a few days later. :idea:

cskipper

Cathy
I agree, and applaud you :eusa_clap for the foresight in "planning" projects that require a new tool -clever, very clever!!!!

Larry Rose

New User
Larry Rose
Chuck, I have both the Jet and the Rigid. The Jet is a much better spindle sander although it leaves a little to be desired in the dust collection area. The Rigid does a good job as an oscillating edge sander. I would probably pick the Jet first. You can always get Sweet Thangs' permission to get the other at a later date for another project she wants:eusa_danc

lottathought

New User
Michael
So let me get this straight.....

You have not been getting a new tool for each of your LOYL projects? :eusa_doh:
This is the best time EVER to negotiate a new tool.
You and I both know that nice tools like this only help to make better work.....
And you and I also know that part of a woman giving gifts is the brag factor about how nice they are.

So I would say that the question is soundly answered. :bbiggrin:

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
I have to agree with Bas too. You're making multiples and that does warrant consideration of a new tool. Further it is not a 'one-use-wonder'. The sander Ridgid or Jet (or whatever), can be used for loads of work.... everything we do needs some level of sanding. With a spindle sander, you area also enabled to do the more difficult work involving more curves.

I was in the new WoodCraft yesterday and I'm sure I saw the Jet there.

Ray

T

toolferone

I haven't made a bandsaw box before but have looked at the pieces shown off here and have sorted out construction details. I will need to pick up some of the drawer slide/spacer strips (how's that for a redneck description) and probably will flock the inner drawer - which should mean LESS sanding, right? How do I use the spacer strips/slides and where can I get them? Does anyone have pics?
Chuck

Here is the pic of the slick strips. I bought the tape at Woodcraft (go figure)
bsb%20inside.jpg

Badabing

New User
Joe
Chuck, if I may make a suggestion, plan on 6 boxes. The very first one is your "dupe." You make this one as absolutely horrible as you can. Of course, the LOYL cannot possibly accept this level of workmanship so she gently suggests you try harder on the others. This is where you drive home the winning run and tell her that in order to complete the others on time you will need some motorized help ;-)

Otherwise, do what I do and sell something on eBay so you can afford the OSS you want :oops:

I actually have the Ridgid and I like it a lot. BTW, it got rave reviews in one of the mags last year (can't remember which one).

Nativespec

New User
David
I thought I saw the Jet there the other day-you can call to find out. You may want to check Amazon first.
Klingspor has 10% off of power tools as well.
I have the Jet and it is a good tool.

David

Last edited:

Makinsawdust

New User
Robert
A serious case of WGD would demand a new bandsaw so you must just have a mild case. :lol:
Both units are pretty good. The Rigid is a little more versatile cause it can do edges also. I have found the Rigid to do transitions from staight to inside curves needing a large radius that requires at least a 3" drum. The Jet doesn't come with a 3" drum but I think you can get one and an insert. Having a 3" drum is very important to me cause I use it more than any other size. Down side to the Rigid would have to be the table material. It is very soft and wears very easily. The Jet is cast iron and heavier all around but ya pay for it.
Rob

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Thanks for all the feedback and tactical advice. :)

Well, I cut the "dupe" out tonight. Took me a while to sketch out a shape to fit the glued up block but only took a few minutes to make all the cuts.

I stuck it together with clear tape and showed it to LOML. I could tell by the way her eyes lit up she likes it. I think we're headed to Raleigh in the morning. I'll call WC/Klinspor's to see if they have the Jet OSS. If not, we'll try to find a Ridgid.

I think LOML wants me to pick up a few sticks of exotic wood while we're there. She said her present needs to have two drawers and should be made with special wood.

Chuck

DaveT

New User
Dave Tenhoeve
Thanks for all the feedback and tactical advice. :)

Well, I cut the "dupe" out tonight. Took me a while to sketch out a shape to fit the glued up block but only took a few minutes to make all the cuts.

I stuck it together with clear tape and showed it to LOML. I could tell by the way her eyes lit up she likes it. I think we're headed to Raleigh in the morning. I'll call WC/Klinspor's to see if they have the Jet OSS. If not, we'll try to find a Ridgid.

I think LOML wants me to pick up a few sticks of exotic wood while we're there. She said her present needs to have two drawers and should be made with special wood.

Chuck
Sounds like a tool/lumber run to me!! Have fun

Nativespec

New User
David
Chuck:

If you go to Klingspor, they may still have the 3" drum (some English brand) for $20 (check their clearance racks-I think it is meant for a drill press). It does not require special sanding tubes and uses regular sandpaper.

David

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS