Need ideas for new shop floor, ceiling and walls.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobsmodels

Bob
Senior User
On the subject of electric layout. I did similar to above notes ie 120V ckts every so many feet, 220v every so many feet, and dedicated ones for specific tools. I used the OSB approach on the walls as I mentioned earlier. All the wiring was in the walls before the OSB was put up. However, all the boxes were surface mounted. This gave me the advantage of easily adding a ckt if needed ( in ten years needed to add three ) and not having conduit all over the shop walls. The other thing I did was each of the 120v boxes were four hole, there are two independent ckts in each box.

Bob

red

Papa Red
Red
Senior User
Thanks for all the replies. I guess putting as much electrical in the walls makes the most sense as many have stated. Being on a crawl space I can easily add a specialty circuit from underneath if needed. Can't wait to break ground and get things rolling. Tired of this no shop stuff!!

Red

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
​Red, keep your eye out for used stuff. My shop walls are pegboard painted yellow. There was a motorcycle store closing and their walls were white pegboard. I found this stash and arranged to take it down before the building was wrecked. The price was right FREE with a little labor on my part. As for my floor, it's a concrete slab. There is a twist. While I was out building TV studios for the city my boys used my shop as a skate board, bicycle, and motocross shop and finished it off as a rock and roll band hang out. There is every known paint color known to man on the floor. If I drop a screw, bolt or washer I refer to Milton, "abandon all hope".

Pop

Jeremy Scuteri

Jeremy
Great thread. I have been pondering floor choices myself. I have a concrete slab and depending on the day I bounce between leaving the concrete as is, putting down epoxy, or some kind of foam+wood subfloor.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have Barricade flooring over concrete like Mike M does and have the same problem with stuff that's dropped disappearing in the camouflage.

For walls I put 1/2" Plywood painted green up the first 4' of wall then sheets of pegboard painted yellow the rest of the way to the ceiling. Can easily mount stuff to the lower walls and the studs are easy to find behind the pegboard. The pegboard of course is great for hanging tools. I just used the cheaper brown pegboard and painted it with a latex paint myself. The color scheme matches my cabinets Green and Yellow. Of course Lowes calls them something like Turtle and Sunburst (marketing colors.)

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Great thread. I have been pondering floor choices myself. I have a concrete slab and depending on the day I bounce between leaving the concrete as is, putting down epoxy, or some kind of foam+wood subfloor.

Jeremy,

Go with the OVRX Barricade flooring - you won't be sorry and your feet and knees will thank you later. Best thing I ever did for a concrete base floor. It works out to about $2 a Square Foot (or at least did when I bought it several years ago.) Have to special order from HD or Lowes - play their price match against each other.

I borrowed the installation tool from Bobby G.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS