Need help and plans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark Stewart

New User
Mark
I work with a guy wiho wants a knife block for his wife to hold 12 knives. I do not have a clue how to make one of these. Let me also say that I have minimal tooling as well as skill level. As always thanks for the help.

Mark

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
First you need to measure the twelve knives, make a layout that holds the knives in the smallest space with enough hand room around each. Then cut and glue the slabs that will make up the block. Route or dado slots for the knives according to your layout, then glue up the slabs into a block. Finish with salad bowl finish or mineral oil.

You don't need to get a plan, make you own plan.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
First you need to measure the twelve knives, make a layout that holds the knives in the smallest space with enough hand room around each. Then cut and glue the slabs that will make up the block. Route or dado slots for the knives according to your layout, then glue up the slabs into a block. Finish with salad bowl finish or mineral oil.

You don't need to get a plan, make you own plan.

+1. I haven't built a knife block, however, I've thought a lot about it and if I were going to build one, I'd do it the way Mike stated. :thumbs_up:thumbs_up

Also, a plan would be no more than a reference as the knives you're making the block will likely differ in size, number and/or dimension.

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
I prefer to lay the knives out, then add wood as needed, until all the knife blades are hidden. :slap:

Mark Stewart

New User
Mark
As allways thanks for your help all. Mike you dont understand this is the plan I was looking for,:gar-La;:rotflm::gar-La;. That one with the squeres looks interesting. Maybe give it a whirl.

Thanks again.
Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS