Need 1x2 Hickory S4S ASAP In Raleigh

Status
Not open for further replies.

bradesp

New User
Brad
Guys/Gals,

I'm building a number of shelves out of cabinet grade plywood for my wifes pantry... I want to use 1x2 nosing to strengthen the shelves and would prefer to use Hickory due it's rigidity and strength.

Anyone know where I can get some 1x2 Hickory in S4S Near Raleigh, and Fast? Project is this weekend!

Thanks!

bradesp

New User
Brad
Unfortunately I don't even have a proper table saw, so I'm really trying to find 1x2 so I can knock this out with the tools I have. Thanks!

SubGuy

New User
Zach
Guys/Gals,

I'm building a number of shelves out of cabinet grade plywood for my wifes pantry... I want to use 1x2 nosing to strengthen the shelves and would prefer to use Hickory due it's rigidity and strength.

Anyone know where I can get some 1x2 Hickory in S4S Near Raleigh, and Fast? Project is this weekend!

Thanks!

What do you mean by nosing? Are you talking about the edge of the plywood? or underneath? I don't think you need particularly hickory. You could easily substitute with White Oak (WO), Walnut, Hard Maple and have properties of strength that are comparable. This link http://www.woodbin.com/ref/wood/strength_table.htm will provide a more scientific representation of strength, but honestly you won't know the difference in your application. I would personally go with WO since the grain structures are similar. The reason why Hickory is so sought after has to do with it's many properties. It's doesn't easily rot, it's got a high breaking strength when bent, it doesn't splinter easily, VERY resistant to impact and was easy to obtain. In comparison, Black Locust is probably better for most of the common applications Hickory is used in. Also, WO is not far behind Hickory in the applications they are used in. I say go with WO b/c it's probably easier for you to find and cheaper. Also, just solicit some time on a tablesaw and I am sure someone can afford some time for you this weekend.

SubGuy

New User
Zach
Oh and you're probably not going to find Hickory S4S in that size. WO, much more probable. But either way, you're guaranteed to get what you want with some tablesaw time from a generous member.

Unfortunately I don't even have a proper table saw, so I'm really trying to find 1x2 so I can knock this out with the tools I have. Thanks!

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Brad,

I have a small amount of rough sawn Hickory shorts that I could mill to your specs if you only need a small amount. I'm pretty busy tomorrow morning but might have time in the afternoon if you can be more specific in how much and what you need.

PM me if you want to try to work something out after noon tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS