Nailing Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Here's my question of the day; What size nails do you think I need to install the furring strips onto the trusses in my shop? :dontknow: Yesterday, I used a nail gun that must weigh 20 lbs, shooting 8d ring shanks.

I'm thinking this is overkill, (mainly cause this thing is killing me!):wsad: and I'm definitely going with a lighter gun of some type. I have a Bostich nailer that will shoot 16ga finish nails up to 1 3/4" long.

I'm laying insulation on top of the strips and plan to shoot the panels to the strips and trusses. Would
1 1/2" staples be enough to do the job? :dontknow: I know when I try to disassemble anything that's put together with staples, it's a bear. Soooo, I'm wondering if they'd be ok for the furring strips and shorter ones for the panels.:icon_scra

Input solicited, and THANX!
:wsmile:

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
8d ring-shank is a little big but probably your best choice, but your right the framing guns are heavy.
If available a siding gun with 1 3/4 coil nails would also work great. You could use your trim gun but be sure to shoot two nails per rafter and shoot them at opposing angles that why they resist pull out much better than if shot straight in.

SubGuy

New User
Zach
Roofing Nails....Big head should help with the thin wood. Staples arn't the worst idea. I would recommend using liquid nails if you decide to go the brad route. The more hold the better IMHO.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
I'd stick with the 8d nails. If they are ring shank it will give better pullout resistance than can be achieved with finish or roofing nails. As the furring strips are supporting insulation as well as the ceiling panels (and maybe an errant foot in the attic) you'll want the added holding power. Angling the nails is a good idea too. Also, stagger the butt joints on the furring strips.
Stapling the ceiling panels may work but check the manufacturer's installation recommendations on that. Marlite products are much akin to tempered Masonite in that they have no grain structure and as such, a narrow crown staple will eventually fail on an overhead application because of movement. I believe they recommend a mastic or drive anchors (or both) for this application.

jhreed

james
Corporate Member
I agree with subguy. Liquid nails is great stuff, unless you want to take it apart later.
James

Skymaster

New User
Jack
Reggie: the general rule of thumb is to use a fastener that penetrates into the other pc AT LEAST 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 times the thickness being attached. 3/4 furring should have at least a nail of 2 1/4 so an 8 is proper.
a question on the "panels" are these going to be removable or permanent? IF permanent than I wood recess the furring enuf to put some molding around them to help hold em in place, sort like a trayed ceiling. That way you could staple em to the furring.
Oh yeah a big +3 on the adhesive. Finish nails are sadly a no no ,easier yes but no holding power due to lack of a head :gar-Bi

SubGuy

New User
Zach
If you looked at my shop floor a week ago, you would be thinking "I'll be looking up from my back on this mess of a shop!".:rotflm: But I'm sure you much more organized than I.:5sigh: Oh and an idea if you screw and glue and want to cover up. I know they have something similiar to those piece you put on the floor when you transition between like hardwood and tile or hardwood and other things. It would hide you screws.

Mark Anderson

New User
Mark
used to do this years ago to every house, the code at the time was 2 8d or three 6d. if the gun gets to heavy try hand nailing for a while, that gun will feel like a feather after a couple hours of hand nailing

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
[QOTE=Mark Anderson;303223]used to do this years ago to every house, the code at the time was 2 8d or three 6d. if the gun gets to heavy try hand nailing for a while, that gun will feel like a feather after a couple hours of hand nailing[/QUOTE]

Mark: Hand nailing is NOT in the equation! :nah: I wouldn't last as long as an ice cube on a hot stove! A man's gotta know his limitations, and I know mine!
:wsmile:

jhreed

james
Corporate Member
I disagree with those that discount the 16 ga finish nails. Have you ever tried to pull one out? I also suggested using construction adhesive. I would like to see someone get those panels down the next day after they were put up with 16 ga pneumatic finish nails and liquid nail or other good adhesive.
If you find someone that wants to take the tear down challenge, let me know when and where. I will bring a chair, a 6 pack and a kerchief to wipe the tears of laughter from my eyes.

Go ahead and use your 16 ga nailer along with liquid nails, and I hope you never have reason to want those panels to come down.

James H. Reed

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
I disagree with those that discount the 16 ga finish nails. Have you ever tried to pull one out? I also suggested using construction adhesive. I would like to see someone get those panels down the next day after they were put up with 16 ga pneumatic finish nails and liquid nail or other good adhesive.
If you find someone that wants to take the tear down challenge, let me know when and where. I will bring a chair, a 6 pack and a kerchief to wipe the tears of laughter from my eyes.

Go ahead and use your 16 ga nailer along with liquid nails, and I hope you never have reason to want those panels to come down.

James H. Reed

James, thanks for your input. Today, we put up the furring strips with 8d ring shank nails. (Yep, that same dang framing nailer!) :kamahlituand also put up two panels of the material I had chosen. Well, I think after seeing it installed, that I'm gonna go with sheetrock! :BangHead::BangHead:

I just can't get the hardboard to look right and the ONLY way I could get it to stay up was with Kreg type screws. Sooo- sheetrock it is.

Thanks for all the input. I don't plan to dope the sheetrock or paint it. Just use it as is.

Also erected the bathroom walls and put in about a third of the insulation. It's a real pain retrofitting! Taking down 8' light fixtures, dust filter, ceiling fan, etc.
:wsmile: Hangin' in there!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS