My new shop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
is built on a concrete slab- 26 x 36 with block walls and a tin roof, inside wall height is 8 feet. The ceiling is thin plywood and I don't think there is any insulation in there.

I need to build a wall about 6 or 8 feet from the back wall to make a storage room and a small office. Out behind that outside wall i want to build a small shed for the air compressor and dust collector.

What do you think of running the main dust tube down the center of the shop through the rafters? Then I can make drops where the main equipment will be.

Will a dust collector play hockey with a wood stove? Anybody have a set up like that?

Also will have to run conduit and surface mount receptacles on the block walls.

I know it would be better to stud the walls and put up plywood but I don't think there will be any room in the budget for that.

jmauldin

New User
Jim
Mike,
with that much room for a shop you are not going to know what to do with yourself. I think running the dust collector pipes down the center of the shop in the attic up out of the way is a great idea, unless your machines will be on an outside wall, then run them down the outside wall. I see no reason why this set up would disturb the wood stove in the least.
Let me know when you want to take a load down. My trailer and I are at your disposal.
Jim in Mayberry

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Mike: My shop has block walls. I just ran conduit down from the plate and rafters above. Used the blue concrete screws to fasten the conduit and boxes. Worked out well.

Congratulations! I can't wait to see what you can do in a good size shop. You deserve it!!

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
You are gonna love all that space!:icon_thum till you fill it all up!:rotflm: congrats mike.

toolman

New User
Chad
New Shop??? Scott is right No Pics no new shop!! :gar-La;

You will love a big shop, but Fred is right until you fill it up! :eek:ccasion1

Jim M.

Woody
Corporate Member
Will a dust collector play hockey with a wood stove? Anybody have a set up like that?

Mike,
I had a friend up north who was heating his shop for many years with a wood stove. He added a new dust collector and didn't have an issue.
He also added an exhaust fan to change the the air and draw fumes out.:no: hit the fan switch, left to have lunch and within a few minutes smoke alarms going off and looks out to see smoke come out the vent!:sad11:

Fan was too powerful and drew smoke and sparks out the wood stove, he added a speed switch and dialed it down a bit. Hope that helps. Jim

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Do try & make some allowance for makeup air if you're putting your DC outside the space. Otherwise you stand a good chance of having a situation like Jim described. At the best case scenario you'll inhibit the draw on the woodstove to where it won't burn as brisk. Add an air intake somewhere near the woodstove if you can - or just crack a door or window when you have the DC on & the woodstove lit.

Rod

New User
Rod
We are in the process of moving to Winston-Salem...or at least trying to. If we do, then I would get a shop in the deal.

My thought on the DC unit would be to build a closet around it and then install/build a filtered return vent so the air is cycled back into the shop. I don't know how well it would work, but it's worth considerring I think. It certainly would help with the wood stove issue.

Congrats on the new shop by the way. I look forward to seeing it.
Rod

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
We are in the process of moving to Winston-Salem...or at least trying to. If we do, then I would get a shop in the deal.

My thought on the DC unit would be to build a closet around it and then install/build a filtered return vent so the air is cycled back into the shop. I don't know how well it would work, but it's worth considerring I think. It certainly would help with the wood stove issue.

Congrats on the new shop by the way. I look forward to seeing it.
Rod

Thats one way, or you can put the motor and blower outside and have the return air to the filter on the inside. I have been debating it and decided that I will probably have all of the dust go outside. I personally don't keep my machines running all that long and will just crack the door when doing alot of ripping, jointing or planing. I'll deal with the heat or the cold for a couple of hours if I have to, it would be worth not having dust return inside to me.

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
The danger of direct venting or even returning DC air, if not all is returned, if you have a gas fired furnace, hot water heater, wood stove, etc. in the shop is you get reverse flu gases flow. Carbon monoxide can kill, and at the very least give you a splitting headache.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
The reverse flue flow is what i was concerned about. I think I will make a vent near the back of the wood stove to supply air to the stove. I can close the damper while I have the DC on.

Thanks

Ken Massingale

New User
Ken
The reverse flue flow is what i was concerned about. I think I will make a vent near the back of the wood stove to supply air to the stove. I can close the damper while I have the DC on.

Thanks
Morning Mike,
Our new shop is finished, we're still moving tools and stuff from the old one.
We installed a triple wall chimney kit and a Vogelzang wood stove a couple of weeks ago.
I won't argue with the theory of reverse flue flow, but we haven't had any issue with running a Delta 50-760 DC. There is a DC drop ~ 10 feet from the stove and I have visually checked the draw on the stove with that drop opened and see no difference.
Neither smoke nor carbon monoxide detectors have alarmed.
Congrats on the new shop.
Ken

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
I can tell you from firsthand experience that it can be a BIG problem. I was working in my old shop shop adjacent to a gas furnace / hot water heater room. I had the DC going, didn't smell a thing, but got a splitting headache and my fingernails started to turn blue. I don't know how far I was from either getting sick or passing out. After I turned off the DC I did a smell check and realized I was getting reverse flue gases in the shop. To verify this I turned the DC back on and checked the flow at the furnace and heater flu openings- yup, reverse flu flow and it was pulling combustion gases directly from heaters into the shop. These were older, unsealed systems. A newer system with sealed air intake/combustion chamber/vent might not be a problem.

I don't know how much Carbon Monoxide (CO) is produced by properly adjusted equipment (mine probably wasn't), I guess some, but even small amounts are very dangerous. CO (link to CO info) is odorless, tasteless, and invisible and it bonds with hemoglobin in your blood much, much, much more readily than oxygen, AND stays there for a long time. It only takes extremely small concentrations to build up over time to be dangerous since it doesn't leave your system easily It is something you want to be sure about, not guess!

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Alan,

Is your new DC inside the shop? I can't afford a DC of sufficient quality to filter all the dust with an inside system.

I know your answer will be I can't afford to pass out either. :swoon:

But, What can I do to lower my cost by putting the DC outside of the shop AND heat with a woodstove. There is no gas in the shop and I'm not sure I want an electric heater out there. I already have the woodstove and plenty of wood to burn.

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
Alan,

Is your new DC inside the shop? I can't afford a DC of sufficient quality to filter all the dust with an inside system.

I know your answer will be I can't afford to pass out either. :swoon:

But, What can I do to lower my cost by putting the DC outside of the shop AND heat with a woodstove. There is no gas in the shop and I'm not sure I want an electric heater out there. I already have the woodstove and plenty of wood to burn.

My DC is in the garage, below my workshop. I don't have a solution, except an airtight woodstove where the combustion air is supplied from outside via a duct.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS