My Flip Top

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeeNC

New User
Lee
I figured it is time that I posted pictures of one of my latest creations. I finally built a long needed flip top tool cart for my planer and mini mill/drill press. Each weighs 104 lbs. and I got tired of picking them up when I needed to use them.

The wood is all 2X4 from a BORG. I did run it through the planer to clean it up a little. All of the joints on the frame are lap or bridal joints. I used ¾” drill rod from Enco and brass bushings for a bearing surface for the pivots. The shaft clamps on the end of the rod help to keep the top from spreading apart. The holes for the ¾ rod were dilled using the drill press prior to gluing it up. The casters are locking casters from Rockler and have worker very well.

The table is more 2X4 glued up like a work bench top. The glue up was completed with the rod in place to insure alignment. I made sure no glue would get on the rod and turned and removed before the glue was dried to make sure it would still come out once everything was dry.

I added some gussets to the central posts once the tools were in place for some insurance.
I also added some leftover flake board to the bottom so I could utilize the space under the cart.

The tools are mounted so that the center of gravity is slightly toward the side of the clamping knobs. This keeps every thing in place until the clamps are tightened.

This cart is a little bit bigger than some of the other single flip top carts that I have seen, but I am very happy with it. The ease of access to the tools on it makes me wish I had built it sooner.

Thanks for looking.

Lee

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Looks good Lee! Need to build 2 of those myself. Wholesale Tool (near 77 and Clanton Rd.) has oil hardened drill rod if you can't wait for shipping from Enco.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Great looking flip top Lee, super sturdy! It's amazing how much space you can save this way, the only real downside is having to unplug the power cords when you flip. Small price to pay...

sediener

New User
Steve
Great looking flip top Lee, super sturdy! It's amazing how much space you can save this way, the only real downside is having to unplug the power cords when you flip. Small price to pay...

That sounds like a design challenge for Allen...

I could see a way with a thick sandwiched top and some metal piping as the fulcrum (or whatever it's called).

LeeNC

New User
Lee
Thanks all. I am amazed how much easier it is to set up and use the tools. The mini mill also does not wind up sitting on my bench for a month ot two at a time.

Lee

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors