My First Sweetheart ! Stanley 4C

Status
Not open for further replies.

Splint Eastwood

New User
Matt
Snagged my First Sweetheart Era Handplane, the Stanley #4C (Corrugated bottom) with Sweetheart Era Blade! EBAY Special! Cost: $15 plus 5 ship Total $20.00

After seeing the Threads posted by Woodwrangler (Jeremy),Ken Massingale, and McRabbet (Rob)

I just couldn't help but posting this.

Stanley_4c_SWera.JPG

As you can see, it's pretty clean, but does need to be mildly cleaned
Stanley_4c_SW_era.JPG

Someone took really good care of this tool!
Stanley_4C_SW_era_blade.JPG

I don't know how much it's worth to a serious collector, but to me it is amazing that one can snag a serious piece of living history for the price of a McDonald's lunch for 4.

Thanks, If any one has any thoughts on what it may be worth, please comment!

Last edited:

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Congratulations Matt:icon_thum - I was starting to be a little concern there with the first sweetheart thing - I am glad that you cleared it up:gar-La;

Ken Massingale

New User
Ken
20 bucks????

You done real good, congrats and enjoy it. We're waiting to see some curls coming out of that beauty Matt,

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Gosh, I think we can declare this weekend "The Weekend of the Handplane".

You got a great deal.

Depending on a lot of factors, I'll guess the plane is worth between 40 to 70 buck. There were a lot of smoothing planes produced (as they were still used by cabinet shops and carpenters long after the other bench planes got put on the shelf).

I don't dabble in serious collecting, so I'm only quoting my theories based on user tools :)

Enjoy!
Jim

Splint Eastwood

New User
Matt
20 bucks????

You done real good, congrats and enjoy it. We're waiting to see some curls coming out of that beauty Matt,

Gosh, I think we can declare this weekend "The Weekend of the Handplane".

You got a great deal.

Depending on a lot of factors, I'll guess the plane is worth between 40 to 70 buck. There were a lot of smoothing planes produced (as they were still used by cabinet shops and carpenters long after the other bench planes got put on the shelf).

I don't dabble in serious collecting, so I'm only quoting my theories based on user tools :)

Enjoy!
Jim

Ken: Yeah, I got as part of a 2 plane package, 1 shipping rate. They didn't list/describe as SW era, just as Stanley #4 and 4C. As dumb luck would have it, I was the only bidder :dontknow: and so...

Jim: Yahoo! Im Rich! In plane dollars and cents! Its just plane fun to find a nugget now and then!

Thanks guys for the feedback!

Matt

Last edited:

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
Very nice. My favorite plane is a dead ringer for that, except mine is an "HMU" (high mileage unit) and doesn't actually say "Stanley" anywhere on it, though it is almost certainly the same casting. But it would be interesting to see how accurate my assessment is. Anyway, great score!

Splint Eastwood

New User
Matt
Very nice. My favorite plane is a dead ringer for that, except mine is an "HMU" (high mileage unit) and doesn't actually say "Stanley" anywhere on it, though it is almost certainly the same casting. But it would be interesting to see how accurate my assessment is. Anyway, great score!

Andy,

Thanks, talk soon!

Matt

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Congrats on a nice 4C. :cool:

Now we need pics with thin, wispy shavings! :gar-Bi

Warning ... the slope is very, very slippery. I've been at it for about a year. I just can't stop. :rotflm: :rotflm:

Chuck

Splint Eastwood

New User
Matt
Congrats on a nice 4C. :cool:

Now we need pics with thin, wispy shavings! :gar-Bi

Warning ... the slope is very, very slippery. I've been at it for about a year. I just can't stop. :rotflm: :rotflm:

Chuck

Pics will be forthcoming! Slippery is right! I am seriously hooked! :tool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS