My First Box

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrfuda

New User
John
My son, Caleb (age 6) was asking for a treasure box during recent trips to several antique stores. I told him we could make one together. This is made completely from the scrap bin. The box and slats are various pieces of pine ("premium" overpriced BORG clear stuff plus some construction grade stuff) and the arcs on either side of the lid are poplar. The slats were glued to some cotton duck before being placed over the arc to make them as tight as possible. We finished it with General Finishes Golden Oak and two coats of Enduro Var applied via HVLP. Since the photos were taken we've buffed it out with some Dark Brown Bri Wax, which evened out the finish, helped blend away a few mistakes and added a little more character. This was the first box I've ever built and the first dovetails I've ever cut. Caleb did all the crosscuts, with a little assistance, on the miter saw and I did the balance of rips, band sawing, routing and sanding. Caleb applied the stain as well. We're waiting for some stay hinges and a full mortise lock to be delivered so Caleb can start enjoying his treasure box!

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Very nice looking box. Love the dovetails - nice and tight! :eusa_clap

The young lad will "treasure" the box for a lifetime.

Well done!

Wayne

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Beautiful job, John. :icon_thum The dovetails look perfect. As Wayne said, Caleb will treasure that box long after his childhood.

Judging from the family pic (your avatar) I'd say you'll be building another one soon. :wsmile:

Bill

jrfuda

New User
John
...Judging from the family pic (your avatar) I'd say you'll be building another one soon...
Yes, the 8-year old already told me he wants tobuild one too. I went ahead and ordered a second set of hardware with the first.

Speaking of hardware, I was shocked to see what decent box hardware cost!

I used Rockler's DT jig, and it was easy to tweak to get the dovetails to fit nicely using scraps. I cheated a bit too by originally making the box taller than intended and ripping about a kerf worth of the top and bottom to get rid of the little bit of tear-out I got. I've since ordered a few more templates for the Rockler jig. It seems to be a pretty good value, purchased on sale as I did, compared to some of the others.

Flute Maker

Mike
User
Very nice... You created a treasure box full of memories....Kids remember the things like when "Dad helped me make this" !!! Great work !!

jrfuda

New User
John
Re: My First Box - Hardware Installed

Sorry for the blurry cell photos, but here is the box with the hardware installed. I'd say installing the hardware was harder than building the box. I think I need some pointers. If anyone has any advice on how to align everything, cut little mortises, etc., I'd appreciate it!

I could not find hinges and a lock in the same finish without breaking the bank, but my sone likes it fine. It almost seems like it might be cheaper to buy a humidor or jewlery box just for the hardware and than to buy the hardware seperately...

As several of you predicted, my older boy wants a box of his own now. I've got him sold on a bandsaw box made from one of the larger hunks of something (we have red oak, sweet gum, walnut, dogwood, hackberry and magnolia) in the firewood wood pile that probably has some decent spalting on it, most of it has been split, but I think there is enough 10+ inch diameter pieces that could be candidates for a band saw box. There is wood in the pile that is has old as 3 years (and as new as 6 months) and we've done a good job of keeping it dry and off the ground in the 4' x 4' x 24' rack we built in 2010.

Anyway, here are the photos...

BKind2Anmls

New User
Susan
It's wonderful. Your son is very talented. Much better than the misshapen ashtrays and elephants I made with clay when I was his age.

MagGeorge

New User
George
That box is awesome! Like the use of slats and the dovetails are really beautiful. Great project to spend quality time with son. He'll treasure this for the rest of his life. Great job!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS