My favorite type of project……

JayMan72

Jay
User
One if my favorite things to create is what I call “Heirloom Up-cycling” it’s when I take a piece of unusable/unrepairable furniture or wood that has meaning to the owner and turn it into something else that can be enjoyed or given to or passed down other family members.

I had a neighbor that got rid of an old solid ERC wardrobe that was originally owned by his grandparents. He had kept it for years moving it from place to place eventually hoping to find a spot for it. Unfortunately the only spot he found, was in storage. After years of moving it around he finally decided to dump it.

I collected it with the thought of being able to use the wood for something. I was going to make him a small bowl as a thank you but that was before I knew what it meant to him. I decided to make a nicer piece as a gift that could be passed to other generations and still keep it in the family. What’s great is that he and his wife have absolutely no clue this is coming their way.

I decided to make a lidded vase that was similar (shape and height) to another piece I made.

The main body is made up of ERC from the wardrobe.
The feature line is Curly Maple and Wenge.
The lid is ERC and the knob is from the wardrobe and it just happened to be maple as well. (Was originally stained to match the cedar.)
I also took one of the key hole covers and 2 of the small nails from the wardrobe, polished them up and installed them on the underside of the lid.

Each ring has 12 segments and the over all height us about 19.75 tall and it’s a bit over 8 inches at its widest.

Friction polish finish.

Enjoy.

Attachments

• IMG_6358.jpeg
    IMG_6358.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 119
  • IMG_6359.jpeg
    IMG_6359.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 102
  • IMG_6361.jpeg
    IMG_6361.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 114
  • IMG_6360.jpeg
    IMG_6360.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 104
Last edited:

Darl Bundren

Allen
Senior User
That's a great idea, and you executed it in astounding fashion. I'm sure they'll love the gift.

Can you tell me a little about the coin logo you have on the bottom? It looks really nice.

JayMan72

Jay
User
That's a great idea, and you executed it in astounding fashion. I'm sure they'll love the gift.

Can you tell me a little about the coin logo you have on the bottom? It looks really nice.
Thanks for the compliment.

I designed the coin myself. There is a guy on Etsy (Von Hanke) that has made them for me twice. He is located in the Czech Republic but his turn around time is amazing. From order to delivery was less than 2 weeks. Granted I had my design RTG when he got it so that might have sped it up some but overall I was impressed enough to order twice.

JayMan72

Jay
User
So it was given today.

Tears were shed and hugs were given.

My heart is full of joy that I was able to do this for them.

Thanks for all the kind words.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors