My drawers are too tight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I have gotten all of my drawers glued up and assembled for my dresser, and the first one I have fitted is too tight. Not by much mind you but maybe a 1/16" side to side. So, since I have hand planes, I figured I would plane them a little, but if you do that, how in the heck do you hold the thing so you can hand plane it? Otherwise, I can take it to my 6x48 inch sander but that is a PITA and I hate doing it that way. Is there a simpler way I am missing? Since the sides are white oak, it isn't like sanding poplar or pine where you can take it off easy.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Take a board that is a tight fit between the front and the back of the drawer. Clamp it to the bench between the vice and dogs, so that it over hangs the bench enough to press fit the drawer on it flush with the apron face. That should hold it for light cuts with a sharp iron.
I saw this in one of the wood mags awhile ago.
Dave:)

J

jeff...

I have that problem too, had to go and buy new ones at walmart not long ago :lol:.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Thanks Dave, that worked. :icon_thum Fortunately, it was only the small drawers and not the 41" wide ones as that would be a pain.

Jeff, I haven't had to up my size in awhile, but if I keep eating the way I have this past week, it is very likely to happen.:lol:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I was trying to stay on topic, but your's is a common problem this time of the year. I feel like I gained at least 10 lbs. over the last 4 days. Big Mike would be proud of the "turning muscle" I'm developing :lol: :lol:

I'm glad that you got everything planed down to the right size.
Dave:)

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
Travis---------I have taken drawers to the jointer and made a very light pass to make them fit. Does not work too well if you have overlapping drawer fronts though.:)

Jerry

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I set myself up intentionally just to see how long it would take. Total of about 13 minutes. :lol:

Jerry and Chuck, had not considered the jointer, which isn't a bad idea. I will try that if I have to do any more "fitting".

J

jeff...

Are your drawers still to tight? Give it up and head to walmart man.

MikeH

New User
Mike
I immediately went off topic before I ever read the first word. Glad you got the drawer to fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS