My chuck is stuck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eyekode

New User
Salem
I have a Jet JWL-1236 (like the HF lathe but doesn't have a spindle lock in the headstock casting).

My chuck is a Nova Midi chuck (T-handles). And now it is stuck on the lathe :(. I have applied way more leverage than I probably should at this point. I am using a punch in the headstock indexing holes and the T bar on the chuck. I have also squirted some WD-40 from both ends.

I have applied so much torque that I am deforming the holes in the chuck. I am dead sure I am not turning it the wrong way :) (looking at the front of the chuck back into the headstock I am trying to turn the chuck counter clockwise). Any other hints at getting this darn thing off? Maybe find a way to heat up the chuck?

Thanks!
Salem

T

toolferone

1st off, yes you are twisting the right way. It will only loosen in the same direction as travel.

Have you tried hitting the insert as you pull on the lever? Sorta like an impact.

erasmussen

RAS
Corporate Member
My chucks also stick on th HF lathe, I just hold the shaft with a large wrench put one of the bars in the chuck and give it a sharpe rap with a peice of wood in the direction that the lathe turns

eyekode

New User
Salem
I am not sure how to hold the shaft from turning. But it seems I am apply ample torque considering I have made the holes in the chuck slightly oval :(. Bleh, have to put some anti-seize in there if I ever get it off!
Salem

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
I was thinking about it last night.

You might try rubber/urethane/metal strap wrenches. Or an oil filter wrench. I've also seen the heavy duty kind made form linked chain, but that might do more harm than good.

I've seen some awful big ones.

While learning from Bobby, in passing he mentioned not to turn in reverse. As the chuck would spin off. Maybe there is a pony in there?

Does the "Index Plunger" lock the shaft from spinning?

Jim

T

toolferone

I thought the lathe had 2 threaded holes at the front of the headstock and a couple of threaded pins that screwed the pins in to lock the head. I also don't think the rubber mallet would provided the sharp impact needed to break it loose.

On a side note, after you get it off, cut a washer out of a milk jug to put between the headstock and the chuck to prevent it from happening again.

Last edited by a moderator:

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
This used to happen on my old Delta. I've got the bite marks in every mounting plate to prove it.
There was no way to hold the head stock drive from spinning (at least no easy one).
I have a pipewrench with a thin width jaws courtesty of a few minutes on the grinder. (<$5 at hf). I'd position the wrench and slap the end with a hammer. Usually the slap would spin it right off.
Once you get it off I F I N A L L Y learned to put a thin plastic washer (milk jug coffee can lid etc) between the mating metal surfaces. I also use a nickel anti-seize compound on the threads. Why does it take some of us (ME) so long to learn?
Caution on the anti-seize (most any auto parts place or real hardware store) it can does and will stain wood. A little goes a long way.

eyekode

New User
Salem
An oil filter/strap wrench is a very interesting ideal. I would try to use the motor to snap it loose if I could. Unfortunately this lathe does not turn in reverse. Not sure if the motor is reversible or the Reves drive works in reverse...

When you look at the current 1236 the headstock casting has a place for an indexing pin. However mine must be too old because the casting does not have this collar. However the spindle does have the indexing pins. I don't know what that is all about...

Salem

eyekode

New User
Salem
Tom,
I thought this lathe had a way to lock the spindle as well. But the castings for my headstock doesn't go over the indexing pins in the spindle. Not sure why not. Maybe mine is old? But then why do they provide indexing pins in the headstock??

By the way, after the rubber mallet failed I tried a 3lb hammer. No dice. I am going to try a pipe wrench (if I can find one big enough...) or a strap wrench next. Something with a larger lever arm.

And I will use a washer if I ever get this darn thing off.

eyekode

New User
Salem
Andrew, and not sure I understand how you are using a pipe wrench. Do you have one that is big enough to fit around the chuck? If so how are you holding the spindle? If the wrench is on the spindle how are you turning the headstock?
Thanks!
Salem

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
Frustrating I know.
Do you have an adapter or is your chuck screwed tight to the spindle.
On my old Delta there was a kinda flange piece where the plates threaded on.

I don't try to hold the spindle. Its just a sharp rap and the metal surfaces seperate.
I do have access to a pipe wrench that would fit the chuck, one more nice thing about a brother in law that's a plumber. One of those WHY would anyone have a pipewrench that can hold an 8" pipe things. Course its over 3 feet long. Looks like a prop from a sales store.
Know any plumbers??

aplpickr

New User
Bill
Get an old style Weller 250 watt gun type soldering iron. Place the tip on the threaded hub/adapter and heat it. It may expand enough to come off.

There as many cautions about using plastic washers as there are recomendations. The washers MUST be uniform thickness or you can cause wobble. When you put the chuck on make sure that it is tight. You do not want the chuck to self tighten in JET mode caused by the lathes rotation.

Once you get it off, inspect the threads for rust, corrosion, nicks and burrs. Clean up the threads with a wire brush, etc. and use a needle file to remove burrs. Is there any chance of a stray drop of CA? Remove with acetone. A Bealle tap for wood will cleanup bad threads. If you are careful you will not ruin it for wood. Is there a set screw that you or somebody tightened?

DaveD

New User
Dave
You could make a wrench to clamp the chuck out of a couple pieces of 2x4 about 36" long or so, and a hinge or some steel strapping. What you want to make is something that looks like a big nut cracker.

Lets see if I can explain how to make one in words.....
Lay the two 2x4s flat next to each other with a space between them. Maybe a 1" space. You want to leave enough 'meat' in the 2x4s after doing the next step.

About 6" from one end of the 2x4s draw a circle across them that matches the diameter of the chuck. Now cut the partial semi circular pieces out of the 2x4's. Put the hinge/strapping on the end by the cutouts. you now have what looks like a big nut cracker.

You could glue some rough sandpaper in the cut out area to help grip the chuck. Wrap the contraption around the chuck and figure out how to hold tention on the two handles and use it as a big wrench. Of course you have to be able to lock the spindle some how.

If you have some angle iron (at least the size of bed rails) you could make something similar except instead of cutting the semi circles you could just put in opposing stub bolts that mate with the T wrench holes and use it like a big spanner wrench. Use all thread rod to hold the 'nut cracker' together and to pull the handle ends together.

If you want to try heat you can always use a hair dryer and after you heat it (the chuck itself) up for 10 minutes or so take an ice cube and put it in.on the spindle end that is in the chuck for some number of seconds to try and cool down/shrink the spindle itself. Then try to wrench it apart quickly before everything reaches equal temperature again.

edit... You could also make the wrench out of lumber rather than angle iron and that would save you some cutting of the lumber.

eyekode

New User
Salem
Thanks for all the help guys. I am heading to the garage to make a spanner wrench of sorts :).

eyekode

New User
Salem
I got it loose! I used a ~2.5' "wrench" made out of plywood on the chuck and a ~1' "wrench" made out of maple on the spindle. Each of these wrenches consisted of a cutting a half circle out of one end and using two pins to engage the spindle/chuck.

Before I did this I broke a 1/4" punch off in the spindle's indexing holes! Man that thing was on there!

On inspection the threads look fine :dontknow:.

Pictures coming :)

T

toolferone

Finally, I can breathe again LOL! Good on you. I was talking with a turner today in Richmond about your problem and he says he puts teflon pipe tape on the threads when he puts the chuck on. Sounds less messy then anti-seize.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS