musical instruments

TBoomz

New User
Ron
to those who make guitars, dulcimers, whatnot,...is it best to NOT apply any finish to inside of instrument? To leave wood bare? Will a finish affect the tone in any way.
And for those who make, e.g. recorders or flutes, do you treat / waterproof the insides in any way,...or again bare wood?

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Thinned out shellac to seal is sometime used on new modern instruments sometimes. Some makers of Guitars, other similar type and harpsichords use it to seal. I never used it on repairs of old instruments. I have on Harpsichords.
Other things traditional makers did use ...we think ... are:

Rosin oils
Boric acid and epsom salt
Sacconi's vernice bianca inside consisting of: egg white, sugar or honey, arabic gum and water- I only know of this from one of my teachers explaining certain violin makers in Italy at one time did use it.

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
I've never applied any finish to the inside of my harpsichords. Two coats of thinned shellac (1 lb. cut or less) are used to seal the top surface of the soundboard to prepare for a soundboard painting. The underside of the soundboard is left unfinished. I don't know of any builder who applies finish
to the inside of a harpsichord.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Correct- Should have been more clear in my writing
I've never applied any finish to the inside of my harpsichords. Two coats of thinned shellac (1 lb. cut or less) are used to seal the top surface of the soundboard to prepare for a soundboard painting. The underside of the soundboard is left unfinished. I don't know of any builder who applies finish
to the inside of a harpsichord.

JohnW

New User
John
to those who make guitars, dulcimers, whatnot,...is it best to NOT apply any finish to inside of instrument? To leave wood bare? Will a finish affect the tone in any way.
And for those who make, e.g. recorders or flutes, do you treat / waterproof the insides in any way,...or again bare wood?
I’ve made several acoustic guitars and left inside unfinished. Other builders I know also do not finish inside. But FWIW my BIL is a trained luthier (viola, cello and violin) and never finishes the inside. Outside is always shellac and he wants a very thin coat saying the instrument needs to vibrate and a thicker finish will dull the response.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors