Moving Shop

Kirsti K

New User
Kirsti
We are going to be moving a medium sized shop from North Raleigh to Cameron (50 miles) does any one have any mover recommendations or suggestions on how best to do this?

Wiley's Woodworks

Wiley
Corporate Member
A "medium sized" shop is going to have some heavyweight machinery. Hire a pro. Have your new shop floorplan layout figured out and marked out in advance, so the movers and you will know exactly where to place the big tools. If you insist on doing the move yourself, get an enclosed truck with a lift gate. Buy enough ratchet straps so each tool can be strapped down to the truck sidewalls. Extra blankets might be useful.

Kirsti K

New User
Kirsti
Thanks for the advice! The shop plan is a great suggestion. We do have some heavyweight machinery including a 5x5 CNC, jointer/planner, table saw, etc.
We would like to hire a someone/company that might have some experience moving these machines. If we can’t find anyone with experience we may end up doing it ourselves with a lift-gate truck for sure!
We’ve got blankets and straps from our cross country move a few years ago.

ashley_phil

Phil Ashley
Corporate Member

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
Have a pallet jack or somewhere to rent one? Have a way to lift the equipment enough to slide a pallet under it ? load it all on pallets and get a liftgate truck. This is how I moved all of my equipment (professional grade) . This is your simplest , easiest and cheapest option.

ashley_phil

Phil Ashley
Corporate Member
Have a pallet jack or somewhere to rent one? Have a way to lift the equipment enough to slide a pallet under it ? load it all on pallets and get a liftgate truck. This is how I moved all of my equipment (professional grade) . This is your simplest , easiest and cheapest option.
one tip if you have any sliding tables use some window shims to shore them up so they can't move or bounce on the bearings during the move.

Howie

Howie
Senior User
We are going to be moving a medium sized shop from North Raleigh to Cameron (50 miles) does any one have any mover recommendations or suggestions on how best to do this?
Sunbelt's lift trailers are a good option for the heavy stuff. Moved my Oliver 299 by myself w/it and a pallet jack.

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
If this is a medium-sized hobby shop, you can move it (mostly) yourself using the PODS-like you-load-we-move services. I used PODS for a shop move years ago and it worked out fine..heaviest tool was about 1100#.

IMO, one of the big benefits of those services is they eliminate much of the time-pressure to quickly load and unload.

If this is a pro-shop, then you are probably better off hiring it out since you can deduct the costs and a quick move means you are back to making money...

-Mark

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS