motor shaft change with Reeves drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

sasjzl

New User
Jim
Hi all,

I need to find out if it is possible to get an adapter or do whatever I have to do to switch a lame Harbor Fright Chinese motor with a really nice Baldor motor I have. The sticking point is that the original HF motor has about a 4" long shaft (5/8") which it appears to fully need for the Reeves arrangement to work. The most excellent Baldor motor has only a 2.5" shaft. My experience to working with electric motors only goes as far as adding switches. I would guess that it is not possible to replace or exchange the shafts themselves with having to have a professional do it, if it is even possible at all. My first thought would be if it is possible to add an adapter on to the shorter shaft that would give me the 4 inches to work with that the Reeves pulley seems to need. Would it be possible to substitute the one Reeves pulley on the shorter shaft for a 3 or 4 pulley deal if I am willing and able to change the speeds manually? Would it be possible to add an intermediate shaft to get a longer shaft? Or finally, is it not worth the messing around. The original engine is allegedly 3/4 hp and the Baldor is 1/2hp but I know from experience that the Baldor is a much better engine.

P1210500.JPG

View image in gallery

Thanks very much,
Jim Lee

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
I'd shy away from an adapter if I could. Try & find a replacement motor with a long shaft if possible. Do you have room to mount a pillow block assembly allowing you to offset the motor & use another belt as input to the Reeves drive?

Last edited:

sasjzl

New User
Jim
That makes sense since it is from China. I forgot about that. Darn, that 14mm has got to be awful close, but no cigar, to 5/8". I am dreaming about a pillow block assembly.

Thanks,
Jim Lee

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
That makes sense since it is from China. I forgot about that. Darn, that 14mm has got to be awful close, but no cigar, to 5/8". I am dreaming about a pillow block assembly.

Thanks,
Jim Lee

16mm is just little over 5/8 but more than enough to make sure parts are not interchangeable and to make you upset :gar-La;

16mm = .629 inches
5/8 = .625 inches

Here's a handy little website for all your imperial to metric conversion needs http://www.blocklayer.com/ConvertLength.aspx

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS