Most recent project from The Cave (& last till fall)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kave

Kettrell
Corporate Member
Here a few pictures of an Entertainment Center build we just completed to replace the 15 year old particle board (sagging) one in our game room. The goal was to use what material I had in stock left over from other projects. The carcass dimensions are 48 w x 40 h x 14 d (basic dimensions of original piece). we used our router and set pilasters on the sides for the shelf brackets. This was the first project where my DW assisted throughout the build. As good as we get along, we are opposites on the Myers-Briggs scale in working through projects. Let's just say we learned "team building" with the project :rolleyes:.

The one thing we tried and "DID NOT" like was a Polyshade finish. Initially, it seemed a perfect fit; one application and your done but finally sanded the poly off the top and reapplied a coat of satin poly to get it to look decent. As those of you on this forum who know me, I am still new to this sawdust thing but am learning a lot and work diligently to minimize my mistakes. Thanks for looking!

IMG_2569.JPG IMG_2572.JPG IMG_2577.JPG IMG_2587.JPG

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
The cabinet turned out very nice. As you discovered you do lose a lot of control with the stain and urethane mixed together. If I'm going to use stain at all, I prefer a gel stain and separate polyurethane or other varnish coat for protection. Much better control that way.

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
The cabinet looks good, As a bonus, you learned more about WW'ing and each other while doing this project; sounds like a win all around! :eusa_clap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors