Mohawk Duracoat Pre Cat lacquer

Anyone used it? Getting ready to spray a night stand with it. Years ago I ran a spray booth for a small shop and we used sealer followed by 2 or 3 coats of lacquer. Been awhile since then and want to try the newer pre Cat stuff.

Anyone use pre Cat lacquer?

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
I use the Sherwin Williams. Here in Hawaii do not have a lot of choices. However, I like it I just sprayed out a desk yesterday with. It came out really nice. The results are predictable and it has good hang.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Modern precat lacquers are the choice of most professional finishers of raw wood. Use the first coat as a sealer.
One finishing trick I've learned is to sand exposed end grain with 320 or 400 and the rest to 180 before applying the finish. That way, the end grain doesn't soak up the finish like it would when using only 180 grit. Once the lacquer is dry enough, then start with 320 and so forth.

Like others, I like the SW T77. I learned about that from this forum. I got the catalyst separate so I can mix only what I need at the time I need it.

1       precat - 1.jpg

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
This is what I was using yesterday - thanks for the tip on the sanding, I will give it a go next time.
Modern precat lacquers are the choice of most professional finishers of raw wood. Use the first coat as a sealer.
One finishing trick I've learned is to sand exposed end grain with 320 or 400 and the rest to 180 before applying the finish. That way, the end grain doesn't soak up the finish like it would when using only 180 grit. Once the lacquer is dry enough, then start with 320 and so forth.

Like others, I like the SW T77. I learned about that from this forum. I got the catalyst separate so I can mix only what I need at the time I need it.

View attachment 225473

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
This is what I was using yesterday - thanks for the tip on the sanding, I will give it a go next time.
I came up with that last November when I was doing some solid wood night stands. I remembered that I'd always had the risk of build up along the edges when trying to get the end grain coated. I knew that sanding to a too fine of a grit inhibited finish penetration so I tried the fine sanding on the end grain. It worked perfectly for me so I thought I'd pass it along. I have no idea how well it would work with other type finishes but I think it would work.

woodlaker2

Ray
Corporate Member
I've had good results over the past few years spraying Mohawk Pre-Cat Lacquer.

Ist coat - Mohawk E-Z Vinyl Sealer (M102-8000)...then however many coats using Mohawk DuraCoat Pre-Cat Matte/20 Sheen (M614-24207).

Started using this after running into a professional finisher while shopping at Klingspor. Said it's all he used. I like it.

Klingspor in Cary carries Mohawk products (gals. or spray cans)

As a final note just remember to follow all usage instructions....ventilation/temperature/safe handling/& cleanup.

Good luck

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
I’ve used the product you are asking about and have had good success with it. I have used it on new work as well as repair work. I’ve even sprayed it over other manufactures top coat with no bonding issues. The chemistry between most products aren’t that different.

Woodmolds

Tony
User

View attachment 225473
RE: Sherwin Williams PreCat
This product is being discontinued(T77F37 & F38). Closest product is T77F58 & uses a different catalyst. Main difference seems to be price. Higher!

craftbeerguy

Craft Beer Guy
User
Anyone used it? Getting ready to spray a night stand with it. Years ago I ran a spray booth for a small shop and we used sealer followed by 2 or 3 coats of lacquer. Been awhile since then and want to try the newer pre Cat stuff.

Anyone use pre Cat lacquer?
Lays down beautiful with my Fuji 4-Stage. I used a tinted Mohawk pre cat many years ago on my kitchen. I can't remember if it was this sku. Finish sequence was two coats of white vinyl sealer and 2 top coats. It failed in high moisture areas so I'll never trust it in that type of environment. In all fairness, I was running doors and drawer fronts from a heated garage, to a cold outside to spray, and back in after being dry to the touch. This may have contributed to the adherence issue.

Last job used it on early last year was a natural maple bookcase 12 ft long and 9 ft high. Sprayed perfect and as Bob mentioned above, I used my first coat as a sealer.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
The really nice thing about a good HVLP air system is that it heats the air. Its essentially a shop vacuum type motor on reverse. Let it run until its blowing warm air then go for it.

Tony, thanks for the heads up. I'll have to make a trip to the SW place with a heavier pocketbook. Whatever the cost, its worth it to have that grade of finish.

Craftbeerguy: I had that problem with a sealer once. Like you, not twice.

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User

View attachment 225473
Bob, do you get this at the normal SW store or is this a SW commercial product?

Woodmolds

Tony
User
Not Bob, but you can inquire at any store and get product delivered, but you would need to know what product you want.
Not all Sherwin-Williams stores carry furniture and cabinet finishes and all are not versed on that type finishes.
Here in Piedmont NC, Reidsville, Winston Salem and near by Danville VA are well versed in these types finishes.
So it may require a little research to find out. I don't think these finishes are considered consumer type.
I have a commercial account and get a discount, delivery and credit account.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
You're right. Shopping mall paint stores are NOT the place to go for industrial grade coatings. There's an industrial coating SW distributor in town that I've been using for a long time. The looks of the building hasn't changed since the 1970s. A five gallon pail is a small quantity for them. I'm not even sure they have any paints in a one gallon can. The small parking lot is generally full of vans and pickup trucks. My kind of place.

MikeZ

Mike
User
I have sprayed both the SW and Mohawk for over 20 years. They both have their pros and cons.
On the Mohawk side, the best advice is to apply the EZ-Vinyl Sealer (M610-8007), which builds faster than two coats of top coat. It has a medium 30 sheen so it's great for Flat or Satin sheens.
Pre-Cat means that the catalyst is added at the factory at the time of pouring. The plus side is that oxygen is used to start the crosslinking process.
Unopened cans have a longer shelf life. (up to 3 years) Shelf rotation is noted on the can in a Best If Used By Date.
If you're in North Carolina, I recommend getting the M614 formula, it's the old-school conventional (before VOCs were a crime), and it lays down, sprays in almost any condition, and cures in 24 hours. It is terrific if your back is against the wall getting something done and out the door.
The plus side is that it's been made here in North Carolina for over 20 years. The factory has been here longer, making finishes for several furniture companies.

The SW has several options. First as stated above, not all SW carry lacquer products. You have to find one that does.
T77 F38, or the newest version of Dull Rubbed Effect, has been a long-running product line. Gives a nice matte-to-flat look and smooth feel.
T67F6 is the sealer, and does a great job. Highly recommend if tinting is required.
T77W20 is my favorite for pure white UV stable lacquer without top coat needed.
One thing to note is that I do not add the catalyst at the store. I don't add their catalyst at anytime.
I didn't find any significant benefits of adding the catalyst when recommended, or when used incorrectly with products that weren't catalyzed. (IE catalyzed sealer has to be used under catalyzed top coat per SW)
If you're not careful, the SW has more xylene in the formula, so it runs and sags on overlaps much easier than other lacquer.

@craftbeerguy The temperature wasn't the factor, it was the white vinyl sealer. Should use M6108007 then M6101067 for high moisture areas. I warm up my pieces in the shop with a wood stove, take them outside to spray in 30 degree weather, once flashed, bring them back in to bake and offgas. never had an adhesion issue doing this.

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
It seems all the stores carry this. If you go CV, or color matching and use a different thinner, you have to go to one of the industrial outlets.

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
^^^
The tint bases, are only available from the Sherwin Williams industrial outlets.

Those would be Sherwood Color Express Precat and the R7K320 thinner, or R6K35 retarder.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
RE: Sherwin Williams PreCat
This product is being discontinued(T77F37 & F38). Closest product is T77F58 & uses a different catalyst. Main difference seems to be price. Higher!

That 'heads-up' mitigated the shock of the $45.00 increase in price for a 5 gal. can.

I finished my night stand Using the Mohawk EZ Vinyl Sealer and then 2 days later the pre cat Duracoat. Turned out great! The Duracoat was dust free pretty fast, which is a huge plus. Ez Vinyl sanded easy and sprayed like other sanding sealers I have used.

I really like how the Duracoat went on!

Attachments

• 20240209_114044.jpg
    20240209_114044.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 85

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS