Model-making bench from recycled wood

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnpipe108

New User
John Meshkoff
I've had this problem of using the laundry-folding area as a workbench, and this is what it ends up looking like (on an indefinite basis!):

And that's one of the cleaner messes! I built a small workbench, that will get casters so it can be rolled away with the mess on it:

The top is from a recycled dresser, the panels are oak-ply drawer-bottoms from the same, and the frames are made from a string of recycled bed-slats! Standard tongue-and-groove construction was used for the frames, and everything assembled with pocket-screws (seen in the third picture with the bench tipped on one end, before inserting the rear-frame).

And a little tool-rack to go with it:

I'll be making some other bench accessories, such as bins, boxes, etc, as they present themselves in my imagination.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
John, nice setup. Used dressers, cabinets, table tops and other item can make for a very function workshop and save a ton of time and money.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Nothing like thinking outside the box. Especially when the box is a dumpster!:icon_thum

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
:icon_thum Nice set up, John. An idea would be a few smaller benches that are the same height. They can be rolled together to form a larger worktop, in whatever shape you need. :widea:

MikeL

Michael
Corporate Member
Great job on creatively solving an issue.

After reading the title of the thread, I had hoped for a Weird Science creation. :banana: Who knows what I'm talking about?

farmerbw

Brian
Corporate Member
John, nice bench from something that would have otherwise taken up landfill space. :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

MikeL, I'm with ya on the Weird Science reference. It could have been a completely different beast!!! :rotflm::rotflm:

Brian.

Last edited:

Robert Arrowood

New User
Robert Arrowood
Cool there is nothing like recycling wood.Everything I make is from dumpster dive's:rotflm:.I'm in the process of trying to convert a table top computer stand into a laptop table for the bed:icon_scra.I'll post some pic's for some:help:.

For yours how about drop leaf ends:dontknow:?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS