Mixing Wood Types

Status
Not open for further replies.

christopheralan

New User
Christopheralan
I am thinking about making a dove-tailed box with ceder, oak, and maple. Can I use these (3) woods without any problems? I have heard that you shouldn't mix some types of wood together.

Thanks in advance!

DaveO

New User
DaveO
A lot will depend on the size of the box you are making. Different types of wood expand and contract in differing amounts. But if the box is small those differences are practically mute. Cedar is a very soft wood and you may have some problems with DTs in it especially if you are routing them. And you might run into some issues with the sanding dust of the Cedar getting into the pores of the Oak, and/or staining the light colored Maple a little. BTDT (2X) But other than that I see no reason not to combine those woods and I look forward to seeing the outcome.
Dave:)

sapwood

New User
Roger
I echo DaveO's comments. Beware of cedar whether you use tablesaw, router, or whatever. It splinters easily. But it looks great, smells great, and adds interesting color contrast.

Roger

J

jeff...

A lot will depend on the size of the box you are making. Different types of wood expand and contract in differing amounts. But if the box is small those differences are practically mute. Cedar is a very soft wood and you may have some problems with DTs in it especially if you are routing them. And you might run into some issues with the sanding dust of the Cedar getting into the pores of the Oak, and/or staining the light colored Maple a little. BTDT (2X) But other than that I see no reason not to combine those woods and I look forward to seeing the outcome.

Dave's one smart cookie :icon_thum, been around the shop a few times...

rhett

New User
rhett
I think a good rule of thumb when combining wood species is to keep the grain structure similar ie oak/wenge or maple/bubinga. It gives an underlying uniformity. Ofcourse contrast is also good, I have seen some beautiful qtrsawn oak and cherry pieces. Do keep in mind Daveo's point about bleeding color.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Dave's one smart cookie :icon_thum, been around the shop a few times...

Jeff...I've made more mistakes than I should have a right to. But I would like to think that I've learned something from each of those mistakes :-D

christopheralan

New User
Christopheralan
Thanks guys. I am going to make just a small box with woodburnings on each face and the lid. I think I will toss in some bass wood and some pine just for grins, too. It will be a little while before I get to make it. I just got (6) new commissions for plaques and portriates. :eusa_danc

skysharks

New User
John Macmaster
I have made a Desk top out of Maple oak and Red Cedar, about 3 years back.
Came out orginally fantastic, with excellent contrast in colors.
BUT.... as has been pointed out, Cedar is soft, and will contract and expand at a different rate then the oak and maple.
I edge joint these 3 types together to make the large panel for the desk top.
Results now that time has past, the oak and maple are fine but where the red Cedar joint is, separates out during seansonal changes.
Hind sight always beeing 20/20 I would use a different joint.

ALmost had problems with screws not holding well in the cedar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS