Mitre gauge recommendations

Kelly

Kelly
User
I feel the need for a better mitre gauge and I have been in that market for a while.
Anybody in love with a particular model ?

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
I purchased the Incra mitre gauge about 20 years ago. I really like it. The settings are fairly simple and have notches for setting any angle to within 1/2 degree. Incra has several other variations available as well.

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
Not "in love" with it, I have a Jessem, an older model I picked up at a garage sale. I still have to periodically check it for 90 and it seems to be off enough to to matter. I store it on a wall with the fence on a cleat so I don't think storage is an issue.

If it mattered enough to me and money wasn't an issue, I'd go for the Jessem.

If I just needed something better and didn't want to break the bank I'd get an Incra.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Been using the Incra 1000SE for about 10 years and it has performed very well. Would buy it again.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Osborne EB-3 is an accurate one that has excellent support for the work when pushing through the cut. I have had one for several years and really love it. It can be swapped from left to right without needing to re-adjust the microsetting. It has stops for the normal angles used. Its durable: Mine has "hit the floor" a couple of times but maintained its settings.

Warped Woodwerks

Senior User
I bought the Harvey Compass miter.. a few years back.. I dislike it, a lot. Sloppy, fence slams into the table saw top (I have a SawStop PCS), so I have to lift it up... a lot, to clear the edge, so it is useable.
The Harvey miter bar sticks, a lot, in my miter slot, no matter what I do. I feel like selling it. Overall, it only gives me, about, 10" - 11" useable space before the saw blade.

I recently bought an Incra 5000. Unfortunately, it is still in the box, but hopefully I'll be able to unpack it and put it to good use, soon. The Incra 5000 is like a shop made sled, but a lot more precise, so I've heard, once you get it dialed in from the initial setup. Might be spendy, to some, but look at the 3000, or Miter Express, etc. Incra, imo.

I guess it all depends on your budget, how accurate you want to go, if you'll be doing mostly 90 or angled...etc

cobraguy

Clay
Corporate Member
+1 for the Incra 1000 SE. I have the 1000 HD and wish I had not spent the additional dollars for it. The only difference between the SE and HD is the in the angle settings. The HD has a ton of detents, plus a vernier adjustment. It offers a level of precision I don't need for the work I do. For the angles I do use, it is a great tool. The extendable fence with removable and micro-adjustable flip stop are my favorite features.

Wilsoncb

Williemakeit
Corporate Member
I bought the Harvey Compass miter.. a few years back.. I dislike it, a lot. Sloppy, fence slams into the table saw top (I have a SawStop PCS), so I have to lift it up... a lot, to clear the edge, so it is useable.
The Harvey miter bar sticks, a lot, in my miter slot, no matter what I do. I feel like selling it. Overall, it only gives me, about, 10" - 11" useable space before the saw blade.

I recently bought an Incra 5000. Unfortunately, it is still in the box, but hopefully I'll be able to unpack it and put it to good use, soon. The Incra 5000 is like a shop made sled, but a lot more precise, so I've heard, once you get it dialed in from the initial setup. Might be spendy, to some, but look at the 3000, or Miter Express, etc. Incra, imo.

I guess it all depends on your budget, how accurate you want to go, if you'll be doing mostly 90 or angled...etc
I don’t have the same problems on my Harvey TB. SS miter slot must be a little different.

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
I feel the need for a better mitre gauge and I have been in that market for a while.
Anybody in love with a particular model ?
Define "better"? What issues are you trying to overcome, etc with your current gauge?

I bought a Fulton miter gauge a couple months back and I think it's great..because I haven't had a proper miter gauge in decades. In other words, my expectations were low. What are yours?

-Mark

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
I use a low-budget one that I made. Since I rarely cut mitres on a tablesaw so I bought an extra mitre gauge and added this home-made fence. Once set, the 90 degrees is preserved by a cap screw firmly locking the head to the bar.

The stop is especially useful for repeated cuts and for trimming just a tad off the length of something..
IMG_4217.jpeg

Last edited:

Ed Fasano

Ed
Senior User
Not "in love" with it, I have a Jessem, an older model I picked up at a garage sale. I still have to periodically check it for 90 and it seems to be off enough to to matter. I store it on a wall with the fence on a cleat so I don't think storage is an issue.

If it mattered enough to me and money wasn't an issue, I'd go for the Jessem.

If I just needed something better and didn't want to break the bank I'd get an Incra.
I too have the original Jessem Mite-R-Excel. As I understand it, they stopped making v1 because of production tolerance/accuracy issues. Some could be perfect and others, not so much. Mine was not so much until I sent it to them. It's now been hand tuned into a perfect beast, which they performed for free, even though it was well out of warranty. As I also understand it, the newer (current) version resolved the production issues and is a fine tool.
I do use mine, but more often I rely on two crosscut sleds.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors