Mitersaw Problem - need help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JOAT

New User
Theo
I got one of the $80 Harbor Freight mitresaws a year or two ago. Got it set up just as I wanted and it's been doing great. But a couple of days ago it stopped shutting off. Plugged it in, pulled the trigger, cut my wood, released the trigger, the motor speed decreased, but it did not shut off completely. Unplugged it until the blade stopped turning, plugged it in again, started up again by itself, not full speed. Pull the trigger and it revs up to full speed, release trigger, speed decreases, but still running. I've tried snapping the trigger, zip. At first I thought it might be the brushes, then decided if it was brushes it probably wouldn't be running at all. So now I'm thinking some problem with the trigger switch. It doesn't look like dust could get in, to hold it partially on, but I don't know.

So, has anyone here had a similar problem? And if so, how was it solved? Buying another mitre saw is NOT an option at this time, and hopefully I can resurrect this one so I don't have to buy one.

Yesterday my new angle grinder, from Agrisupply, died with a total of about three minutes total use. That one is no problem. I couldn't find the sales slip to turn it in, so opened it up to see if I could see any obvious problems. Couldn't, but it's now a source of a number of small springs and other neat stuff for some projects.
:eusa_danc

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I had a skillsaw like that. It turned out to be the trigger.

Since this is a real safety issue I would take it to HF and see if they will exchange for a new one. I think if you bring up the fact that you plugged it in and it started by itself, maybe point out the legal implications of it cutting off an arm or something, they should see a light bulb.

RobS.

Robert Slone
Senior User
I just had to break down and take my jointer to a shop. It's a pretty important tool for me and right now it's holding me up. I took it to Bowden Electric Motor Service in Rocky Mount.

As for your problem - I have an old Craftsman miter saw I will give you if you want it. The blade guard which is supposed to keep you from cutting off your arm began to bind badly when in use. The binding was bad enough in my opinion to make the saw very dangerous so I broke it off. There was no other way to remove it. It also needs a new or at least sharp blade. I should still have the manual.
I think it would be easy enough to make a new guard but I have a new saw so I never worried about it. It does take a lot of patience to use because after making a cut I wait for it to completely stop before i move.
Anyway it's free if you want to make the 45 min. or so drive over here. Might get you through til you can get something better.

Also, I recently read some horrible reviews of Harbor Freight tools. All referred to HF as Chinese junk manufactured by any number of companies most seemingly lacking in quality control. My lathe is from HF. It's old but I've had no problems with it, but I haven't used it much either.

JOAT

New User
Theo
I had a skillsaw like that. It turned out to be the trigger.

Since this is a real safety issue I would take it to HF and see if they will exchange for a new one. I think if you bring up the fact that you plugged it in and it started by itself, maybe point out the legal implications of it cutting off an arm or something, they should see a light bulb.

I did say I got it about one-two years ago, actually I think well over two. I doubt seriously they're going to swap, especially since I've long ago lost the sales slip, and have modified the base. If nothing else, I'll put a totally different switch on it. Maybe a light switch.
:rotflm:

By the way, how did you finally deal with the trigger on your saw?

JOAT

New User
Theo
I just had to break down and take my jointer to a shop. It's a pretty important tool for me and right now it's holding me up. I took it to Bowden Electric Motor Service in Rocky Mount.

As for your problem - I have an old Craftsman miter saw I will give you if you want it. The blade guard which is supposed to keep you from cutting off your arm began to bind badly when in use. The binding was bad enough in my opinion to make the saw very dangerous so I broke it off. There was no other way to remove it. It also needs a new or at least sharp blade. I should still have the manual.
I think it would be easy enough to make a new guard but I have a new saw so I never worried about it. It does take a lot of patience to use because after making a cut I wait for it to completely stop before i move.
Anyway it's free if you want to make the 45 min. or so drive over here. Might get you through til you can get something better.

Also, I recently read some horrible reviews of Harbor Freight tools. All referred to HF as Chinese junk manufactured by any number of companies most seemingly lacking in quality control. My lathe is from HF. It's old but I've had no problems with it, but I haven't used it much either.

Fortunately I'm in no immediate need of the mitersaw, so will get out there and see how the innards of the trigger look, fixable or not. However, I might take you up on the offer if I can talk my son to make the drive with me - so might be a few days to a week to firm it up. In the meantime, if you find somone who really could use it, feel free to pass it along to them. I just don't really care for making longish drives alone anymore. Appreciate the offer, and I'll let you know either way in a few days.

Depend on who you talk to about HF tools. I've had my lathe probably about eleven-twelve years, still doing great. Drillpress and bench saw, same, still doing great. If you check a LOT of the name brand tools look just like the HF tools, except higher price tag and different colors. I heard a contractor one day wanting the last display power tool of some type. They told him no warrantee, no box, etc., he didn't care. He said he can buy a $300 version of the same tool and it would last him about a six weeks, then die. On the other hand he can buy the HF version for $50 and count on it lasting two weeks before it dies. My smaller hand tools, never break, instead they usually disappear and neither of my sons have seen them. Very eerie that.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
It was a Sears Craftsman circular saw and it was 6 years old at the time, close to 35 now. I ordered a new switch, put it in and it is still out in the shop. I have a much nicer saw now (thanks to Steve Cole) but I still use the old one for ripping up pallets to burn.

JOAT

New User
Theo
Hey Rob, thanks for the offer, but looks like my older son and I have got it under control. Him mostly. :eusa_clap So feel free to pass your saw along to someone who needs one. Now I need to plan a trip to HF for a angle grinder, or three - never hurts to have an extra. :tool:

JOAT

New User
Theo
While I'm thinking about it. I've found that a whole lot of the people badmouthing Harbor Freight tools have never even been inside a HF store. Lame. Harbor Freight occessionally has refurbished DeWalt and/or Delta power tools for sale. The welding magnets you see in a welding supply for $19+ are the same ones, packaging and all, that you find in HF for $3-4. A lot of the stuff in HF definitely is one-time usage only, but on the other hand I see stuff like that all over. I buy stuff there because on a fixed income sometimes that's the only place I can afford to get what I want. Other times I buy because I'll only be using something a few times, so it'll probably outlast me, I just can't agree with the guys who tell you to buy the 'very best' when I may be only using a tool once or twice. So, like any other store, go in, look around, buy what you think is worth buying. It ain't what you're told, it's what you know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS