Medieval writing slope

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmauldin

New User
Jim
Fellow Termites
I have just posted a couple of pictures of a project I am working on. It is a reproduction of a 17th cent. writing slope that I found in Medieval Furniture by Daniel Diehl and Mark Donnelly. The first is a picture of the original slope. The second is my carving of the front of the desk.
I am using hand cut nails.
Jim in Mayberry

WritingSlope2.jpg

Writingslope4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Jim I had to add the pics to your post, much easier for us lazy folks to see your fine carving. That looks like a really cool project, I can't wait to see it all completed.
Dave:)

skeeter

New User
Charles
Really nice piece of work. Tell us more. What type of wood and finish? #1 question is how long have you been carving? It looks really great!!

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Looking good Jim.:icon_thum I was wondering what the Medieval furniture style looked like. The slope is and interesting looking piece and I look forward to seeing your completed project. Nice reproduction of the front carving.

D L

jmauldin

New User
Jim
Guys,
I am using white oak (the worst for trying to carve). It has taken a couple of days to do the carving. I have never had any training in carving and have just done bits and pieces here and there. It took about three days to do the carving, working off and on. I will finish the piece in a walnut stain that I am making from some walnuts in my back yard. The plans call for making the lock that goes on it, but I have not had any experience in metal working so I will either forego that part or find a blacksmith.
I'll keep you posted, although I am not working on the piece full time - too many "honey-do" projects that interfere.
Jim in Mayberry

Monty

New User
Monty
That's a cool project, in a style we don't see every day - can't wait to see how it turns out!! Thanks for sharing, and keep us updated!

sapwood

New User
Roger
Jim,
You have taken on a unique and interesting challenge :icon_thum

Thanks for sharing the work in progress.

Reminds me of Chaucer's Prologue to Canterbury Tales :mrgreen:

[FONT=verdana, geneva, helvetica]Whan that aprill with his shoures soote
The droghte of march hath perced to the roote,
And bathed every veyne in swich licour
Of which vertu engendred is the flour;
Whan zephirus eek with his sweete breeth
Inspired hath in every holt and heeth
Tendre croppes, and the yonge sonne
Hath in the ram his halve cours yronne,
And smale foweles maken melodye,
That slepen al the nyght with open ye
(so priketh hem nature in hir corages);
Thanne longen folk to goon on pilgrimages,
And palmeres for to seken straunge strondes,
To ferne halwes, kowthe in sondry londes;
And specially from every shires ende
Of engelond to caunterbury they wende,
The hooly blisful martir for to seke,
That hem hath holpen whan that they were seeke.

[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, geneva, helvetica]Sapwood[/FONT][FONT=verdana, geneva, helvetica]

[/FONT]

Sweetgum

New User
Brad Keisler
DaveO said:
He needs spell check :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

That would be Middle English.

I can still recite the first 18 lines, quoted above, in Middle English :eusa_shhh

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Ahh, I skipped Middle English and went right to Upper English (the one that uses the correct letters for the words) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Sorry, I'm not very culturally refined :eusa_doh:

sapwood

New User
Roger
Sweetgum said:
That would be Middle English.

I can still recite the first 18 lines, quoted above, in Middle English :eusa_shhh

Actually, I thought Chaucer was Old English and Shakespeare was Middle English . . . but it has been 40 years since college :lol: And I could only remember the first four or five lines, had to look up the rest. :-(

Sapwood (who didn't intend to stray on Jim's post of his wonderful carving)

DaveO

New User
DaveO
sapwood said:
Actually, I thought Chaucer was Old English and Shakespeare was Middle English . . . but it has been 40 years since college

Sapwood (who didn't intend to stray on Jim's post of his wonderful carving)

Where you must have learned Old English:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dave (who can't help but to poke fun at Sapwood whenever possible):)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS