Mdf....

Status
Not open for further replies.

clowman

Clay Lowman
I built some super cheap cabinets this weekend out of MDF and was wondering what you guys pay for a sheet of 3/4 MDF. The local BORG has it for $20 a for a 4x8 sheet. Can I do better than that?

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
I have seen it priced at a local Lowe's between $15 and $18, but it has been a while since I last shopped for any mdf. $20 is about what I would expect now, I guess.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I don't think that you will do any better but you might call and check the prices at Raleigh Hardwood or Jackson International. But the hassle to save a few bucks might not be worth it.
Dave:)

Monty

New User
Monty
mmmm.... MDF!

IMG_0828.jpg

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
You might do a buck or two better but if the Borg is convenient, it's proably your best best. There are other grades of MDF that actually cost about 50% more but machine more smoothly and take paint better once machined. A lot of the cabinet shops use it for paint grade raised panels.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
If you are going to be painting them, then you will need to seal edges. The simplest way is to take drywall compound, slightly runny, and smear on edges with finger. When dry, sand off excess. then prime. Did this last week on a panel to cover a hole ( not made by me) on a job. Really did a good job of sealing edges so they looked like face of MDF when painted. WOW! Remember that a sheet of 3/4" MDF weighs 94 pounds, so when at borg get one of the flat top carts to carry and be sure to get a "loader" to help you. Definition: loader- the guy who watches you struggle with sheets of MDF, then asks cute blonde if she needs help with a piece of shoe moulding.

JohnsonMBrandon

New User
Brandon Johnson
NO JOKE! I ended up having to load a 3/4 sheet by myself after waiting 15 minutes on the loader. Of course the loader conviently shows up as soon as its in the truck.

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Cabinets? I don't see no stinking cabinets! How do we know this really happened Clay?:lol:

D L

WoodWrangler

Jeremy
Senior User
Around Charlotte I'd say that $20 is a good price.

PS - I get the meaning of "BORGs" by its use in the sentence... but can't figure out the acronym ... any help is appreciated!:BangHead:

clowman

Clay Lowman
Ok.. ok.. ok... DL Busted me. Here they are. Super cheap, no doors, just hanging there. Holding my stuff...

cabs.jpg

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Oh...........those cabinets.:lol: Good job Clay, they look great. Are you thinking about putting doors on them later or leave them as they are? It looks like they painted up nicely.

D L

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
Up until this post, I didn't think those guys were too smart, hmmmmmmmm :idea:
junquecol said:
Definition: loader- the guy who watches you struggle with sheets of MDF, then asks cute blonde if she needs help with a piece of shoe moulding.

clowman

Clay Lowman
I don't plan on adding doors. In my last house, 90% of the time I left the doors open, and found I hated them. I positioned the cabinets on a wall that nobody can see inside the garage into the cabinets, just for piece of mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS