Math question pipe capacity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Basically I need the inside diameter of 8' of pipe that will hold 5 gallons of water. Can anyone help?

Calm seas never made a good Capitan

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
I come up with 91.95" of 4"id pipe to hold 5 gallons.

Area of pipe is πr2= π x 2 x 2 = 12.56 sq inches. so 1" of 4" id pipe - 12.56 cubic inches.
1 Gallon = 231 cubic inches, so 231 / 12.56 = 18.39" of pipe for each gal.
18.39" x 5 gal = 91.95" of pipe needed.

or, conversely:

231 cu in per gal x 5 = 1155 cu inches for 5 gals.
1155 divided by 8' (96") = 12.03 cu inches per 1" length.
12.03 divided by π - 3.82 inches which is the radius squared.
square root of 3.82 is 1.957" radius, x 2 for diameter = 3.914" diameter pipe or about 3 15/16.

Go

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Thanks everyone - Its looking like 8' of 4" pvc pipe will get me real close. I really appreciate the responses :) close is good enough... I'm just making a PVC pipe nipple waterer for my chickens. I may need to go with thick wall in order to be able to have enough meat to thread the nipple holes but we shall see...

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41+EP0kuUtL._SL1500_.jpg

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
Jeff, post a picture when you get done? Also along the way maybe. Got to do the same thing. Did find a friend who had some good nipples - coming free and are on the way.

hymie123

Jim
Corporate Member
A friend of mine made up one of these waterers they seem to work great. He actually uses rain barrels by his coop and just has the barrels elevated and plumbed with 1" PVC pipe. The waterers are threaded into the 1" pipe.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
A friend of mine made up one of these waterers they seem to work great. He actually uses rain barrels by his coop and just has the barrels elevated and plumbed with 1" PVC pipe. The waterers are threaded into the 1" pipe.
Good idea...

Bugle

Preston
Corporate Member
Thanks everyone - Its looking like 8' of 4" pvc pipe will get me real close. I really appreciate the responses :) close is good enough... I'm just making a PVC pipe nipple waterer for my chickens. I may need to go with thick wall in order to be able to have enough meat to thread the nipple holes but we shall see...

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41+EP0kuUtL._SL1500_.jpg

I made mine with standard schedule 40 pvc and had no problems threading the nipples. Took the chickens about 30 minutes to figure it out.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
I made mine with standard schedule 40 pvc and had no problems threading the nipples. Took the chickens about 30 minutes to figure it out.
Thanks... I ordered 25 nipples its way more than I need. 25 is the same price as 10 - so I guess I'll have a bunch of spares.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS