marking gauge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chemeleon

Administrator
Matt
Dad's been slowly setting up a basic shop in his garage, mostly from my hand-me-downs as I upgraded to industrial sized stuff, and recently decided he needed a marking gauge. Since I had no better ideas for him for Christmas, figured might as well make one. Of course, since I had to order some brass stock, screws and thumb nuts, which means paying more in shipping than the parts cost for one gauge, I went ahead and ordered enough to make 13 of them, so guess I'll be making a pile more after Christmas is done.

This one is wamara (sent from a friend in exchange for a gauge), which polishes up a heck of a lot nicer than most woods I use, and I really like how the sapwood contrasts on it. Sanded to 1000 grit then polished and buffed with carnauba wax. Blade is a cut up jigsaw blade ground to a radiused edge. I'm thinking I'll order a stick of O2 steel for the rest of the blades though. I've got a couple other woods to use for the others, bubinga, bloodwood, and possibly some cocobolo coming from another friend, as well as enough wamara scraps for quite a few more like this one.

Thinking I'll try launching a small custom dovetail jig company in the next month or so, and also sell small runs of stuff like this from time to time through it, hence the logo in the corner.

markingGauge1.jpg

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Almost as nice as the Bluespruce I've been eyeing. I like his blade attachment better.

Beautiful work and I know your dad will love it.

Chemeleon

Administrator
Matt
Used a 1/8" end mill in my drill press and an xy vise to cut a 1/8x1/4" slot for the blade. Then drilled and tapped a #8 hole in 3/8" brass rod, cut and sanded flush to make a dowel nut, with the beam drilled so a brass socket head screw goes through the dowel nut to pin the blade in place. While it means needing an Allen wrench to tighten the blade in place, I always seem to strip or snap flathead brass screws, so hopefully this way holds up better long term.

Chemeleon

Administrator
Matt
There's about 4 spoken for already, so probably around 9 to sell in this first batch. If they sell easily I'll most likely make more. Not totally set on price just yet, but thinking $60-80. The brass bits run me about $10 per, plus incidentals like sandpaper and other normal shop stuff, and of course, a little wood. At that price range, 2-3 sold covers the cost of the batch, which seems about right to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS