maple cross for my daughter's wedding

Status
Not open for further replies.

pviser

New User
paul
In response to Hank's call for postings of recent projects, I present here a project completed last month. My daughter's outdoor wedding in September needed a cross, so I made a maple replica of our church's brass cross. I used quartersawn hard maple so that my design could have slim lines, yet be dimensionally as stable as possible. The cross itself features a simple precise half-lap joint. The back surface is beveled to allow an additional 1/8" of thickness while still keeping the displayed edge at 1/4". The Greek letters in the middle were chiseled by hand with a 2 mm chisel. I then filled the chiseled areas with tinted epoxy to make the letters easily seen and also to stabilize the short grain of the carved letters. The base involved three stacked rectangles, each made from a single long piece for an optimal sequential/wrapped grain match. It was the epitome of overkill, but I splined all 12 of the miters, each of which were refined using by new Lee Valley shooting board plane. I melted and casted lead to hide in the base to give the tabletop cross maximal stability. I screwed -- rather than glued -- the cross inside the base in order to allow any microadjustments. The sides of the base have an area for the fingertips for lifting. The corners of the bottom have small pieces of leather to make soft contact with the table.
IMGP2301.JPG

IMGP2300.JPG

IMGP2299.JPG

IMGP2297.JPG

IMGP2296.JPG

IMGP2295.JPG

IMGP2290.JPG

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
Very nice work. I have to commend you for finishing a project in June when the deadline is September.

Roy G

kave

Kettrell
Corporate Member
Hey Paul that turned out really nice! And congratulations on the upcoming wedding too!

cpowell

New User
Chuck
You put a lot of thought into the cross build and it shows. Nice work!

Your daughter will be very proud.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
VERY nice Paul!
I really like it - what will it be used for after your Daughter's wedding?

Doe the Church have plans for it or are you giving it to your daughter and son in law?

BTW - now I want to see what you are making for them for a wedding gift!

Just because I am guessing that is why you are done with a project in June with a deadline of September.... (as Roy pointed out)

(Careful: are either of them on the site?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS