Mandrel for Long Spindles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flute Maker

New User
Mike
I turn long spindles for making flutes. ..Turnings are often a little over 30". I have a lathe steady but was wondering about making a mandrel which would have a threaded rod going through it that would basically sandwich my turning and support it more and help some with whip...I have turned down some pieces for both ends to fit these tubes and thought about using a 3/8" threaded rod to tie them together...The only problem is I have an older Craftsman lathe and cant drill/bore and so being real accurate may be a problem drilling the holes for the rods...Any help/ other ideas would be appreciated !!! Thanks Mike

taandctran

New User
Thanh Tran
:dontknow::dontknow::dontknow::dontknow:maybe drill them before you turn. might be best to rough turn them then drill, then finish the turning?

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
Mike,

I am almost hesitant to post this, because it is tricky to know when you have it smooth enough, but I have only found one steady that properly dampens that vibration. Actually, I should say there are two - one on the end of each arm. Yes, I know - don't touch the spinning wood. But in the middle sections of the spindles I have done in the 3' length, I have found no other way to effectively dampen the vibration. The steady center just adjusts the harmonics of the vibration so that the wave is passing center at that point. It makes me like turning the shorter high whistles a lot more. Anyway, the 2 most recent spindles I turned in the >3' size were SYP solid pieces being turned down to about 1.5" and they still had a lot of vibration when cutting, so I am not sure beefing it up is going to help.

Flute Maker

New User
Mike
Mike,

I am almost hesitant to post this, because it is tricky to know when you have it smooth enough, but I have only found one steady that properly dampens that vibration. Actually, I should say there are two - one on the end of each arm. Yes, I know - don't touch the spinning wood. But in the middle sections of the spindles I have done in the 3' length, I have found no other way to effectively dampen the vibration. The steady center just adjusts the harmonics of the vibration so that the wave is passing center at that point. It makes me like turning the shorter high whistles a lot more. Anyway, the 2 most recent spindles I turned in the >3' size were SYP solid pieces being turned down to about 1.5" and they still had a lot of vibration when cutting, so I am not sure beefing it up is going to help.
Ahh dont be hesitant Andy...I understand safety on the lathe but understand what you are saying too..I'm just fishing around still developing my techniques etc with what I have...This old craftsman lathe serves me well right now but sometime in future may get something better but dont really see it anytime soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS